Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 12-29-08
Year: 2001
Make: Ford
Model: Taurus
Odometer: 351,620 miles

Single digit temperatures of last week were a deciding factor that the 2001 Ford Taurus needed a tune-up. Not that I didn’t know it was way past time…I just wanted to see how long this 24 valve Duratec engine would go with out certain new replacement components. So today, (12-29-08) we spent a few hours at Ekeler Repair in the community of Exeter, Nebraska. Why Ekeler Repair?

#1. They (Greg Ekeler & Shawn Slezak) are Racers! I try to support Racers!
#2. Ekeler Automotive Repair has an exceptionally clean, organized and a professionally equipped business.
#3. They were able to work me into their already busy schedule.

Let’s get to the point. Today, components were replaced, tagged, inspected and documented by video and photography. The replaced components were all 2001 model/year original equipment with 351,620 miles of use.

Fuel Filter: Original filter Motorcraft FG-1012 was replaced. It appeared to be very clean.

Air Filter: Original air filter #YF1U-9601-AB 10180003 was extremely dirty. With 351,620 miles…it should be dirty!

Spark Plugs: All 6 of the original plugs were Motorcraft Platinum AWSF 32F
The body of each original plug reads: Made in USA-10

The new replacement spark plugs have a suggested .052 to .057 gap recommendation. Codes were read and indicated only one problem, that being with Port #1. Upon removal of spark plugs in;
Rear Bank;
Port #1- burn gap of .082
Port #2-burn gap of .079
Port #3-burn gap of .081
Front Bank;
Port #4-burn gap in excess of .100. No visible electrode extending.
Port #5-burn gap in excess of .100. No visible electrode extending.
Port #6-burn gap in excess of .100. No visible electrode extending.

Why did the code not show a problem with Ports 4, 5 & 6????
How did it run as good as it did?

Upon test driving after the above original components with 351,520 miles were replaced, I noticed that it idled with out the minor miss-fire that it had prior. A slight improvement in acceleration seems noticeable at 55 MPH. I’m sure fuel consumption will be improved…the rate of improvement will remain a Speed Secret…as I don’t track consumption. I’m waiting for another single digit morning to see if cold engine/weather idling has improved.

And so, I’m a bit disappointed now that I can’t say that I still have original plugs on the 351,620 mile odometer…but wait…the engine and transmission are still original equipment! I still have something to talk about!

For those who refuse to believe the above facts, watch SPEED SECRETS iVision at in approximately 10 days. You’ll see documented video and photos taken at Ekeler Repair in Exeter, Nebraska. Look for the latest Speed Secrets iVision ‘Quick Clip’ brought to you by ‘La Garages’ at Motorsports Park Hastings!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am sure the car has 98% highway miles, called ideal driving condition.
So, the Engine n Tranny can be original.

If driven in normal 50-50% highway/city conditions, these Trannys go anytime between 40-120K.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the video in a few days. I want to see pictures of how the plugs look :eek:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts

Single digit temperatures of last week were a deciding factor that the 2001 Ford Taurus needed a tune-up. Not that I didn’t know it was way past time…
"BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"YADA YADA YADA"...Look for the latest Speed Secrets iVision ‘Quick Clip’ brought to you by ‘La Garages’ at Motorsports Park Hastings!

[/b]
Maybe it's just me but this reminds me of a Billy Mays infomercial to me... :p

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
My mom's car has close to 50/50 driving and is at 220,000 miles. Original Tranny & Engine. I have repaired the Alternator (still original, just new brushes), replaced the distributor thingy, and replaced all the struts & springs. I also did it's first fluid & filter change on the tranny at 130,000 miles. Part of what helped with that though, is it had a leak that I just fixed. I used to have to put about a quart every week or two in it. I need to do the fuel filter soon. Car is a 1998 Taurus LX /w a 3.0 Vulcan/AX4S combo. It also used to be a City of Jacksonville car. I found several tags on it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The plugs were still firing alright because the high voltage produced by the ignition coil is capable of jumping a very large gap. You can have the electrode burned off most of the way up into the porcelain, and if the coil and wires are in good shape, you can still get a spark at the tip of the plug. Now, it's not a great idea to let them get so worn, obviously, but it can run.

By the way, when you say "ports" i assume you're referring to the cylinders? And the code you got was P0301? There may be other reasons why cylinder 1 had a misfire code set instead of the other cylinders, even tho their plugs were more worn.

I'd like to know why you'd let it go for so long. I mean, personally, i wouldn't think it's that cool to say you're still running on original plugs, air filter, etc. etc. with that kind of mileage. To me, that just shows a horrible lack of maintenance, and probably a lot of money wasted on gas. I wouldn't want to brag about it. Hell, when i bought my newest car, with 190,000kms on it, the plugs were original, and a tune-up (along with several other repairs) was the first thing i did, before i even put it on the road.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I bought my 3.0 powered wagon last year w/65K on the clock. I was getting 13 MPG around town on the original plugs/wires/cap and rotor. so I replaced them and went to 18 MPG around town. I agree w/Nidan, maintenence is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Nidan, if you'll recall this guys first couple of posts, this Taurus was supposed to be his "experiment" of some sort. I still have yet to see where lack of maintenance and high mileage, has ANYTHING to do with "speed-secrets". Unless they've done some major engine work and revamped everything for maximum VE, then I see nothing that any other Freeway driven vehicle couldn't achieve.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
A clean fuel filter after over a 1/4 million miles. BS, I replaced mine on the old 2006 at 48,000 miles and when I poured it into a bowl it was dingy brown.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
12-31-08

Here are a few engine longevity Speed Secrets. I have a few more Speed Secrets I've performed on this automobile to get the odometer to where it is now with a minimim amount of expense. For that information, a reasonable fee will be requested.

2001 Speed Secrets Taurus

Oil & Oil Filer Changes

Average oil & filter change intervals—every 5,661.29 miles.
FoMoCo suggests oil & oil filter change every 10,000 miles on a 3.0 Duratec 24 valve DOHC engine.

From January 2001 through December 2008;
62 oil & oil filter changes were performed.
Type & Weight of oil is a SPEED SECRET!
(6 quarts per change @ $2.93 per quart) $17.58
oil filter $ 4.00
______
$21.58 per change
$21.58 x 62 changes = $1,337.96

*I change my own Oil & Filter.
*Type/Weight/Mixture of oil is a SPEED SECRET!

Have safe and prosperous 2009!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I am with the people that don't understand how driving it so far without maintenance is a good thing.

I could see it if it was a factory or parts company experiment. No telling how much fuel has been wasted.

I just don't understand.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
For that information, a reasonable fee will be requested.
[/b]
How long are we going to let this guy spam the board with this crap?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
FoMoCo suggests oil & oil filter change every 10,000 miles on a 3.0 Duratec 24 valve DOHC engine.

[/b]
Like hell. Where did you get that? Ford recommends oil changes every 3000 miles/5000 kms, unless you're using synthetic, in which case it's 5000 miles/8000 kms.

And what's the "speed secret" BS? You haven't said anything about making the car go faster, just about how long you can keep the engine running while doing minimal maintenance.

Oh, and whatever oil you're buying for that cheap, you can keep a secret. I'll spend the extra few bucks per litre to know i'm buying a good brand, and synthetic to boot, thank-you-very-much.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I bought my 3.0 powered wagon last year w/65K on the clock. I was getting 13 MPG around town on the original plugs/wires/cap and rotor. so I replaced them and went to 18 MPG around town. I agree w/Nidan, maintenence is a good thing.
[/b]
Hmm, perhaps I should replace the cap/wires/rotor and spark plugs on my 95 with 36k miles.

I get an average of 12-15mpg around local streets but have gotten up to 24mpg out of this car doing 65-75mph highway driving.

Sorry to go off topic, but I don't drive this car that hard and I don't feel like I should be getting this terrible of gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I got better mileage than 15 in town with my 95. If those are original it is probably more about age than mileage. I bet a new set of wires would do it good.

Mike
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
So rather than just plugs, I should tell them replace cap, rotor and plugs too?

I always figured with 30k someodd miles they would still be good, but I often forget this car is almost a decade and a half old and probably still has many original components LOL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nidan...with all due respect, I am not an Automotive Tech nor am I in the parts business. I'm a consumer who wants a quality product at a reasonable price. If your paying more than $3.50 for one quart of brand name syntheitc oil...you're paying too much!

With:
oil change #1 on Febuary 28th, 2001 at 2,715 miles
and
oil change #2 in April 12th, 2001 at 6,011 miles, I utilized an inexpensive non-synthetic oil. I had reasons for that.
At 8,598 miles, I commenced using a brand name synthetic blend...and have done so through the 62nd and latest oil change. I have my reasoning for that.

Again and with respect...it's difficult to argue with 351,909 miles as the odometer now reads. (I guess I'm 'old school', as I still call them miles as opposd to kilometers.) Even though, I'm a bit old school I know I can help a new car owner get more miles out of their new engine based off a very few simple procedures I've done since 2001 on my Taurus. For those of us who also own a previsously owned vehicle, these procedures may not be of maximum benefit, as we do not know the accurate service history of the vehicle...however, my procedures probably wouldn't cause any adverse issues.

signed:
Highway Rider

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I am not an Automotive Tech nor am I in the parts business.[/b]
That's fine, It seems you're a Northern Motor-sports TV announcer, is that correct? It also seems that the station name, or program, is called Speed Secrets, is that also correct? You drive a white Taurus with a blue front clip, say it's completely factory stock, but yet have called it a "pace car" as well as the Speed Secrets "race car", is that correct? No disrespect meant or intended, just curious. Reason I ask is there have been many requests to "spill" these "secrets". You've plugged your website enough, that I would think I'm not the only one that's actually checked it out, and sorry, but all I've seen is interviews and race footage. Nowhere have I seen any type of tech section where an interview is giving any type of "speed secrets".

If your paying more than $3.50 for one quart of brand name synthetic oil...you're paying too much![/b]
Pray tell Mr. Rider what name brand SYNTHETIC oil are you buying for less than $3.50/Quart? Maybe you get your oil for free or at a very discounted price from the sponsors of the show. As for you doing oil changes at regular or irregular intervals, it really doesn't matter, the only "secret" I've seen, is that you're actually getting it done that often, which to me with it being all hi-way mileage, AND synthetic, is overkill, but to each his own. I will not judge you for doing it that often, like I said, at least it's getting done. As for the rest of the "regularly scheduled maintenance items, I've seen LOTS of cars with similar mileage with just as many OE parts, and again, most have had hi-way miles as well.

Again, no disrespect intended or implied, just my $.02. Congratulations on getting to the mileage, hope you push it till it collapses.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

Single digit temperatures of last week were a deciding factor that the 2001 Ford Taurus needed a tune-up. Not that I didn’t know it was way past time…
"BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"YADA YADA YADA"...Look for the latest Speed Secrets iVision ‘Quick Clip’ brought to you by ‘La Garages’ at Motorsports Park Hastings!

[/b]
Maybe it's just me but this reminds me of a Billy Mays infomercial to me... :p

[/b][/quote]

Thats my thoughts exactly when i first saw this.. :rofl2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again and with respect...it's difficult to argue with 351,909 miles as the odometer now reads. (I guess I'm 'old school', as I still call them miles as opposd to kilometers.)[/b]
You wouldn't happen to be driving a canadian Taurus that is registering the mileage in Kilometers would you?
Sure sounds that way with you stating oil changes at 10K (miles) intervals "10000 km = 6213.711 mi.". And that you would say you call them miles instead of kilometers.
You do realize that there is a big difference between a kilometer and a mile?
351909 km = 218666 mi.

Btw- I agree with the others, regular maintenence is important to me. I take pride in my vehicles being in a "better than most" state of tune. I would be ashamed to have a vehicle that was as neglected as yours. I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it. I also wouldn't want to buy a vehicle from a person who thinks like you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts