Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Ford Taurus GL with the Cruise Control. It only works intermittentaly while driving. I press on then Set/Accel and nothing happens. I can try it maybe 2 days later and it works just fine. Any ideas where to start looking. I called the dealer and they said it is going to cost about $110 just to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First you have to be going at least a certain speed, 40 or 45 or something. Plus it's flakey at higher elevations if you're a mountain dweller. If it's neither of those, I say drive without it. Our ten year old Taurus' are falling apart, it's inevitable I guess.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Which foot do you brake with?.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Another question is that: when the cruise isn't working, does the horn work? Next time it flakes out, try it. If the horn also doesn't work, it points to the clockspring.

The horn, airbag and cruise get their power from the clockspring behind the airbag. It could be a bad clockspring. The other thing that I have heard to check (which I will also check on mine, as my cruise & horn are dead....and the cruise acted flakey for a few months) is a connector at the bottom of the steering column (inside the car) that carries power to the clockspring. Some folks have also said that this connection has come undone.

If the cruise just quit working, it could point to a bad switch for the brakes....or if the '93 Taurus has the full electronic cruise like the '93 SHO ATX.......the switch on the bottom of the master cylinder. Also possibly a bad cruise unit. The intermittent operation seems to point to the power supply to the switches in the wheel, though.

A new clockspring is about $75 through Torrie at Ford Parts Network. For myself, I'm not buying one until I check out that connector in the steering column (free fixes are the best!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
My cruise control won't shut off! I'm in the mountains, its working fine when on but freaks me out if I have to use the Off button on the wheel. I hit the brakes and not always does it shut off. New tranny rebuilt, but a short under the dash has shorted out the brake lights. Mechanic did mess with the wheel component, wires and I know the airbag is flaky. 94 GL wagon, 132k.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Try replacing the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Since the cruise detects if the brake lights are on in order to shut off, not having the lights on would cause it to malfunction.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is also a Vaccum Dump Valve on the brake pedal. Sounds like it may be stuck closed. It's just a plastic valve, and has a 3/8 vaccum hose attached to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You guys are brilliant! I'll live without the cruise control till the mechanic finishes the 'short under the dash, which began with the brake lights".

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I just remembered last night the few times it has worked I had to press real hard on the "SET/ACCEL" switch. Could it be the switch?

·
Registered
285 Posts
It could be the switch itself. It doesn't take much impedence to prevent a 12 volt system from working properly.

The plastic dump valve shouldn't be expensive, but you can probably free up and clean yours out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For an intermittent cruise control operation problem, the first thing to check is the vacuum dump valve on the brake pedal arm. It's a simple little thing to check, but unless you have a few more U-joints in your spine than I do, it'll be difficult to get to. There's a little white plastic button that sometimes gets sticky. Clean it up, and be sure it pops back out after you push it in with your finger. When it's pushed in, it disengages the cruise control by releasing the vacuum. It's a part of the "double safety" built in to the system: either the vacuum dump valve or the brake light swith will disengage the cruise control.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Dan_in_WA@Jul 9 2004, 12:34 PM
It could be the switch itself. It doesn't take much impedence to prevent a 12 volt system from working properly.
Don't you mean resistance? Impedence affects alternating current. - Reinhart

1 - 18 of 18 Posts