Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the rear shocks on my 2000 Ford Taurus SE Wagon. The nut for the upper shock attachment point is in a well in the cargo area. Alldatadiy.com calls for an oxygen sensor socket as shown below, or I suppose a crows foot wrench would work, too.

My question is: has anyone removed the upper nut with an extension or a deep socket? Any advice on doing this job would be appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the photo and video - very helpful. I will be replacing the rear shocks because the plastic sleeve on the driver side rear shock is no longer secured to the shock. It rides up and down on the shock making a lot of noise even over the smallest bumps. Is this a safety issue where the car should not be driven ubtil the shock is replaced?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A 15mm deep socket will remove the nut on the upper end of the rear shock absorbers on the station wagon. No oxygen sensor socket or crows foot wrench needed. I was getting a lot of rattling in the rear portion of the car and could see the shock's protective sleeve had become detached. Once I got a better look at the car, I saw The upper threaded portion of the shock had snapped, and the top of the shock was no longer attached to the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts