Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kind of speaker I should put in my car. I have a 98 Sable (gen 3), I installed a Pioneer Premier DEH-550MP cd player already. With this head unit, I can get some thump out of my rear speakers but I can also easily distort them if I crank the volume. I'm thinking about replacing all my speakers with some good quality ones.

I understand that for the door I need 6x8 speakers and for the rear I could run either 6x8 or 6x9s? I could go either way on this, if a 6x9 is significantly superior to a 6x8, I would try fitting the 6x9.

To help for choosing, I'm looking for some speakers that have good bass/low end but also have good clear high/end tweeters so probably something like a 3 or 4 way speaker. Also, the type of music I listen to is rock, punk, alternative type if that makes any difference for which speaker works well.

I know there are alot of companies out there that make speakers and some can be really expensive, I guess I'm looking for the best for the money. Anyone with experience who has had various kinds and could tell a difference let me know.

Also, if I need an amp for the 4 speakers that I want to replace, any recommendations there would also be a appreciated as far as who makes a good quality amp that will sound good and deliver enough power.

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Definetely the best bang for your buck would be Infinitys. I have 4-6x8" Infinity Kappas in my Gen 3 Taurus (the rear is 6x8") that are powered by a Pioneer DEH-P7600MP. I was surprised when I put them in. The highs are awesome and they have a lot of punch to them, even without an external amp. I plan on getting an amp to power them sometime soon, just because they aren't even at their full potential right now, and they're awesome.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want you could replace the front speakers with some good 6x8/5x7's, 5 1/4's, or 6 1/2's. As for the rear speakers you could put any of the three sizes that I mentioned before as long as you check to make sure they will fit. I know 1 or 2 people have put some 6x9's in the rear. There is a 6x9 speaker hole between the two rear speakers, that was for a 6x9 'sub' that was part of the JBL stereo offered in 1996, I believe. If you want to put 5 1/4's, 6 1/2's, or 6x9's in you will have to make an adapter for them. Some good speakers that you could look into are Boston Acoustics, Infinity, and CDT. All three offer some good speakers for the price. You might want to look into an amp for the front and rear speakers too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the responses. T-3, you mentioned 6 1/2 in. round speakers. I hear of others doing this as well, is there an advatange to round speakers for sound quality or bass?

Also who makes a good amp? I know it is best to get an amp that has a continous output of close to what the speakers have a continous/nominal rating for rather than peak power which doesn't mean a whole lot. Is there much difference in amps for quality between different brands kind of like how many people agree that infinity, cdt, and boston acoustics are the top quality brands for speakers?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts