Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What size are the rear speakers?? I think 5X7s are in the rear... but I wanna make sure. Also a 6x9 in the rear do-able?? What about the front? Im thinking about changing the stock speakers soon. Let me know, thanks

Sal

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sal, you of all people should know how to use the search button :lol2:

Anyway, for the Gen 3's the front and rears are 5x7's. There is a spot in between the 2- 5x7's for a single 6x9 that was used on the JBL systems IIRC. I think I've read that 6x9's in the rear are do-able, but I don't recall if it was done with fabricating or bottom-mounting the speakers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah yeah yeah, I got lazy ok! LOL

Cool, I think Im going to do 6X9s in the Sable rear. I'll check out the fronts and see what I can do. Also... what about the tweeters... Can I do something with those? Or are the stock ones better then aftermarket ones...

Sal

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
There will be cutting involved if you want 6x9s in the rear. Go with 5x7s, they sound great and are a bit cheaper and easier to install than the 6x9.

Bigger is not always better. I have polk 5x7s and they are a massive upgrade from the stock speakers.

As far as the tweeters are concerned, there are better ones out there than the stock ones. However, expect to pay a good amount for them. There are very few audio places that just sell tweeters, and the ones that do want an arm and a leg for them (at least around me). I would just stick with the stock ones, they sound fine to me in my setup.

If anything, get a single sub and amp setup. Forget the sub in the center package tray, spend the cash on a decent sub setup. The results will be much better and more noticeable.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
In my car i have 6x8's in the front door that fit perfect and i have 6x9's in the back with some modification. cut back some medal, drilled 2 holes for each and small nut with bolt. I'd put another 6x9 in that spot for the factory sub inbetween the rear speakers but i dont want to have to buy 2 more speakers when all i need is one.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
YOu could probably just bottom mount a 6x9 in the rear position rather than have to cut it. There's not much cutting involved though, if you have a reciprocal saw (sawzall). It'll take you all of about five minutes after you get the carpet and stuff off there. I have 5x7s in my rear deck, and they sound great. Ford leaned the speakers forward, and with the angle of the rear windshield, our cars get some great multi-channel imaging.

As for the tweeters, you'll need to custom mount them somehow. I rednecked mine, and that the tweeters sit in a cup, and screw into a mounting ring. I put the tweeters into the cup, then screwed the cup into the mounting ring to the point where it was gripping the edge of the tweeter mounting pod. Not too fancy, but it works. Aftermarket tweeters and crossovers are worlds better than the factory ones.

I would definitely agree that the factory sub position is not worth using. The only thing you could put there would be a free-air sub, and an 8" at best. You'd be much better off just getting two 10"s or a single 12" and a good amp.

JR

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
hey sal, you could mount the tweeters in the behind the pillar like I (and a few other people) did. It depends if you have manual or automatic side view mirrors. the cover should just "pop" off or held on by a bolt. You could also put the in the holder that it comes in when you by it (well pioneer and JL audio does anyways) and place it on the pillar left and ride side of the front window, facing towards occupaints.
Now, i dont know if you like the idea of "componet sets". They (not trying to insult you) come in 6, 6 1/4's, 6x9's and such sizes, BUT they INCLUDE tweeters in the set. Some pioneer sets are $100 or such, but they can go UP to g&d AWFUL prices, just look around.
For bass, if you like truck space, go with one 12 in the sable...Built in its own box. BUT if you want BASSSSSS, then 3 10's in a box, would fit PERFECT in your trunk. Some people do a single 10, but for a few bucks more you can get a 12 and it USUALY sounds better. (It depends if you free air, or bandpass, or "seal" the sub. Well, good luck. Myk

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I did the system for my Sable, I ALMOST bought two 10's for it. It would have sounded better than one 12", imho. The problem was that I already had the 12" setup from my old Topaz, and didn't want to let that go to waste.

JR

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Im not wanting to do subs. I had the Sable POUNDING with 1200Watts of Bass power at one point. But I grew out of that. I may do 1 10" sub in it. But I dont know... Im more like speed then show now. Thanks for all the info guys. I'll post what I end up doing.

Sal

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If you want greater clarity and more imaging options, get component speakers for the front. 5.25" will fit fine in the factory holes with an adapter, 6.5" will fit with a little bit of custom work. For the rear, it's up to you...I wasn't too concerned with the rear since I like my music coming at me from the front like it was originally intended, so I put a decent set of 6.5" coaxials back there to satisfy the rear passengers and provide a little fill.

If you want a setup like the one I described to really sound good, then you're going to need to at least amp the front speakers, and possibly the rear ones too (I wouldn't waste money on that).

Also, component and coaxial speakers will perform better in general if you cross them over above 50 Hz (general statement, some lower, some higher). If you want to hear bass notes and be able to get good volume levels out of your speakers without distortion, you're going to want a sub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts