Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ May 10 2009, 01:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723968
Yes, Crutchfield sill offers the speaker harness adapters for free with purchase of speakers. I believe they are made by Metra. Scosche also makes the speaker harness adapters. They can be found in many auto part stores or eBay.[/b]
yeah just founbd that out today and they also give u free 6x8 to 5-1/4 speaker adapters too. that relly opens up yer speaker options alot. just not shure how much clearnce i will have for my gen 4. becase i know thos 3 ways dont sit flush like 1way speakers do. found a nice set HERE, but not sure if top-mount depth: 1-3/4" is enough.

Alice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know what the mounting depth is for the front door speakers in a Gen 4 (2003)? BTW: I have the regular system with 6x8s all the way around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got done putting new rear speakers in my 91. Sorry no pics, but the stock size is 6x8 rather than 6x9 as the first post says. There are holes to screw in the 6x9 but the metal is bent in such a way that they must be mounted under. Also the parcel shelf cover wouldn't come off unless I also took out the back pillar covers or whatever those are called, in addition to the lower and upper rear seat. It was a bigger job than I expected but now it's a big improvement over the old ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did the front speakers on my 91. Stock size was 6.5 I assume because they were the same diameter as the 6.5 replacement I got. There were no usable screw holes so I had to drill new ones, but other than that, they went in nice and easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody have the wiring diagrams for the Gen 1? I have an '86 Sable and I'm trying to put in a custom speaker setup. I'm also having trouble with the memory cable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I sure hope 6.5s with fit the front in my SHO. I just ordered the Sony Xplod GT09HP bundle with 6.5s and 6x9s. $80 online, free ship to store, and $12 cash back with bing. May not be the best but should beat stock setups and is better than the nothing I have now.

I measured across the face of the stock bracket and got roughly 6.25". Are speaker's actual dimensions undersized? Or will I be getting the grinder out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (damarble @ Jan 21 2010, 09:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=780914
Well I sure hope 6.5s with fit the front in my SHO. I just ordered the Sony Xplod GT09HP bundle with 6.5s and 6x9s. $80 online, free ship to store, and $12 cash back with bing. May not be the best but should beat stock setups and is better than the nothing I have now.

I measured across the face of the stock bracket and got roughly 6.25". Are speaker's actual dimensions undersized? Or will I be getting the grinder out?[/b]
The answer is yes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody have best speaker recommendations for a 2002 taurus SEL sedan (Gen 4 I believe) I want to be able to boost that system, it is nice the one it came with as stock, but looking for a little more volume level, and possibly bass. You guys said a woofer can't be done in them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaker defect spotted!
just a quick observation I made today:
It appears my gen3 Taurus speakers (Mach audio system) were dying one after the other... They became seized, the cone would not move anymore. Turns out the magnet and accompanying pole piece become loose and move somehow (from vibration/blow), and gets stuck against the voice coil. Yesterday I unstuck my driver power window (which would not go up again) with a rubber mallet blow: my window got unstuck, but my speaker became dead! Magnet assembly is originally bonded to the speaker frame, but rust destroys that bond and magnet/pole piece becomes free (still held by magnetism, but can get misaligned).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is depth an issue?

I read somewhere, when researching the mach/jbl setups, that there may be a problem with the depth (or "throw", which I assume means outward movement of the cone's rubber mount) of the front door speakers limiting my options. Does anyone know what will fit? I know its a 5x7/6x8 hole in my 97 gen 3 taurus.

But what is the max depth?Also, my car came with tweeters. Does anyone know where the crossovers are mounted? Any tips on bypassing them and the tweeters or know a good component set that is under the three prices Crutchfield gave ($200, 500, 870)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see a lot of speaker talk, but no how too's?? door's are doors?? I hope it comes off easy!! but the back deck? is it better to take the upper back rest off? or from the trunk to put the speakers in?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I read somewhere, when researching the mach/jbl setups, that there may be a problem with the depth (or "throw", which I assume means outward movement of the cone's rubber mount) of the front door speakers limiting my options. Does anyone know what will fit? I know its a 5x7/6x8 hole in my 97 gen 3 taurus.

But what is the max depth?Also, my car came with tweeters. Does anyone know where the crossovers are mounted? Any tips on bypassing them and the tweeters or know a good component set that is under the three prices Crutchfield gave ($200, 500, 870)?

The depth you should care about is the "top mounting depth", which is the depth resulting from mounting the speaker on the top of a surface (as opposed on its bottom). Most vendors report that. In my opinion, you should not go with speakers that have top mounting depth of more than 2-1/2 inches. In fact, I have heard of some speakers with this depth fit, and others not. Right now I have Infinity Reference 6832cf 6x8 coaxial speakers in doors and they fit just fine (top mount depth = 2 3/8). Other Infinity's and JBL GTO series coaxial speakers and components will fit fine too. The top mounting depth does limit your speaker choice for 6x8 speakers. There are several models I really wanted to have but their magnets are just too big. One thing you can do, if you want to have a certain 6x8 speaker really badly, is to buy a 6-1/2 version of it. A lot of them come with a mounting bracket and their top mounting depth is less (specially with the bracket which should have thickness of 1/4 inch or so). 6-1/2 speakers should be considered for other reasons as well. For one, a lot of really good brands don't bother to make 6x8 componets. Right now I am buying an Alpine Type R 6-1/2 component set for doors. There is no 6x8 version. They do have 5-1/4 version and a 5x7 coaxial version, though the later looks like it might not fit due to magnet size.

PS: I personally recommend to go with component speakers. A lot of buyers are turned off by them because they don't know where to mount the tweeter. However, the 3rd gen Taurus comes with tweeter pods in door sails.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I see a lot of speaker talk, but no how too's?? door's are doors?? I hope it comes off easy!! but the back deck? is it better to take the upper back rest off? or from the trunk to put the speakers in?
Do a google search of this site. It's been discussed. You have to take off the rear seats and also the rear deck cover. It takes 15 minutes. I did this upgrade because I got some Pioneer 6x8 speakers for free. Though, in general I don't recommend rear speaker upgrade. You can mount 6x8 speakers (or even 6x9 speakers with mod) with ginormous magnets, and they can add some good sound volume, but they also confuse the sound stage. I'd prefer to turn them down and invest in the front speaker setup. Get some nice components for the front and dynamat the doors. Next, add a subwoofer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got everything I need, it's just the time to do it!! head unit already done with xm!! now had I been smart!! I'd ran the rca cables at that time, but I was not smart so now I must do that! putting three way speakers up front(kenwoods) and 2 way(pioneers) in the back!! have the subs sitting in the car, 2 kenwood 10's..box wedged nice between the shock towes!! but my single 10 box was too tall with my fosgate sub?? then to find a hole in which to run my power wire!! for a 1500 watt amp. and I'm done with the car!!
just put the key in and drive!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have 99SE with Duratec engine and center console shifter. I found two factory made holes. One is on drivers side. If you flash a light into driver side firewall, you'll see a round grommet. There is also a hole on the passenger side through the wheel well. First, the cable is routed into wheel well. In the well there is another hole, covered by grommet, that leads into passenger area after some routing. I run a 4 gauge cable through it.

There is also a third hole on cars with the column shifter. It's roughly in the center of the firewall. On cars with center shifter, a shift cable goes through it, so you can't use it. In others the shift cable goes through the hole on the drivers side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
never thought about mentioning my column shifter... sorry..if I was more pc savy I'd take some pics for an how to to post,but I haven't a clue as to how too!! though explained many times!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
never thought about mentioning my column shifter... sorry..if I was more pc savy I'd take some pics for an how to to post,but I haven't a clue as to how too!! though explained many times!!
Check the first three pages of this thread about how to find the firewall hole in the center of firewall.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117-electronics-security-audio-visual/94613-firewall-hole.html

I generally don't try to upgrade more than one component at a time. Each piece takes at least a weak end. I do like taking my time. I spent a whole evening on just finding the firewall holes I can use when I was doing the amp install. Right now I am installing the head unit. I figure it will take a weekend to become familiar with it. Then, I'll do the front component set next weekend, and also run new thicker speaker wires and dynamat and sound proof the doors while at it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
no putting the stuff in isn't a problem!! I really haven't come across a car that has given me too much of a problem.. I just like to know what I'm in for before I start something.. the head unit was easy!! just the 20 foot wiring harness blew my mind!

·
Registered
37 Posts
not sure if someone has posted the time to do the speaker swap, but....
front takes less than 30 minutes left and right side.. rear take 15 minutes tops!!

the only thing that SUCKS!! is that ford switched up their speaker hook up connections!! had to cut and replace all four connectors..

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.