Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by happygiant@Oct 13 2006, 07:18 PM
what kind of adapters are you talkin about? most of the ones i have seen are made from 1/8" plastic
They're all made from plastic :D It was either Stinger, American International or Metra or one of those companies that has a thinner design. I will probably keep my SEL more stock then I had originally planned so I will probably use them instead of using 10" woofers. When I find them I'll post a make and part number for you :)

Could do like i did
It's amazing how versatile a good can opener can be these days :lol2:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have getting 6.5" Infinity Kappas...they going to fit in my 05' Taurus SE?

Kyle

Specifically in my front doors?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I believe Gen2 1992-1995 The front door speakers are 5.25 only because I got 6.5 and they didnt fit correctly 5.25 fit nice and I only had to drill 2 holes in the speaker mount

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have getting 6.5" Infinity Kappas...they going to fit in my 05' Taurus SE?

Kyle

Specifically in my front doors?
[/b]
They might, but you either have to make or buy and adapter for it since the stock speakers are elliptical.

I believe Gen2 1992-1995 The front door speakers are 5.25 only because I got 6.5 and they didnt fit correctly 5.25 fit nice and I only had to drill 2 holes in the speaker mount
[/b]
I managed to get 6.5" round speakers in my G2 with no problem:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to work for the company that made the JBL Systems as well as most of Ford's conventional speakers.

The stock door speakers in the Gen1-2 Tauri were 5 1/4" as that was the industry standard size round speaker until the 6" round became popular in 1990's. A 6" or 6.5" should fit; you also have to be concerned with speaker depth in a door application. That's why bass is usually lacking from door speakers because a shallow speaker can't move much air unless it has more surface area....like a 6x9 or 5.5.x 7.5. Packaging concerns (space) always dictate which size speaker goes where. Matsushita/Panasonic used to make a nice long throw 5 1/4" OEM coax which was actually used as the door speaker in the FN-9 Lincoln Continental JBL system for awhile. That speaker had some pretty good punch for a 5 1/4" because it was deeper. Branding is everything. ;o)

I can remember seeing the first mock ups of the MN-12 T-Bird Cougar 10 Liter JBL Subwoofers. I still can't believe those monstrosities were ever used in an OEM application. The Assembly Division wasn't too keen on them but Ford Audio wanted them at the time. Those had a 6" or 6.5" long throw woofer. A giant PIA especially considering you can get just about as much low end from a good pair of 6x9's.... especially with vehicle specific EQ.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Original post updated... lol.

Is there any reason why I thought 2000 had a sub? I've never seen this before. I was like 19 when I wrote this post. :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am sorry. I know this may come as a stupid question to some but after going to circuit city's website and best buy's website, I cant find any speakers are 5x7/6x8. I dont really understand, as audio anything is not my area of expertise, the measurements. Can someone explain it to me and tell me what they would be listed under on a company' webpage? :(

P.S. It is a 2001 Gen 4

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 6.5 Pioneers in my gen 3 taurus in the back. And just the other day i noticed that theres a hole for another speaker in the back between the 2. I thought thats pretty cool. And i think installing 2 speakers in the front doors would be a pain, and idk if its worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I was wondering how a mustang mach 460 or shaker 500 system would fit in our gen 4 tauri. I am a lucky guy when it comes to car stuff, we get mustangs coming in to be made to race cars and they just want to throw the speakers and such away. Ive been wanting to install the amps and speakers since I have them all, but Im not sure about how hard it would be to do it? Its worth the upgrade from a just stock 4 speaker system and not the mach audio for the taurus.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The amp in the Taurus isn't like a typical amp. It's actually the tuner and signal processor as well as an amp. To install any amp, it has to be done in conjunction with the stock amp. If you have an aftermarket head unit, then just install an aftermarket amp off the head unit instead.

I don't know how good the Mustang speakers are, but if they look like the corporate Ford speakers, then don't even bother using them. I'd rather just go aftermarket than putting in used stock speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I have a 97 SHO/Mach. Drivers side door speakers are both gone. I've had
the drivers side replaced already in the past, and it looks like Ford replaced it with a newer
version of the door speaker (has capacitor on it). At this point I might as well replace all the
front speakers. Was looking at some of the Pioneer 6x8's. Side by Side they look the same
size as the current door speakers. Problem is finding new tweeters to replace the existing
ones. Does anyone have any suggestions for tweeter replacement ?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
know this is going to sound stupid but dose any companys give a wiering harnes to plug into th factory speaker wireing??? i know crutch field used to for free when u baught there speakers. i dont know if they still do or not. i wrote them a email asking and i will let every one know when i get a anser. if i do get some 6x8 3way speakers how much clearnce do i have fore the center part of faactory covers????

if this is to much of a hasel may order a factory speaker at parts department.

Alice

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes, Crutchfield sill offers the speaker harness adapters for free with purchase of speakers. I believe they are made by Metra. Scosche also makes the speaker harness adapters. They can be found in many auto part stores or eBay.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.