Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, there seems to have been an interest in the speaker sizes for the different gens here. So for further reference here are the sizes of speakers that come with the Taurus. So I dunno if someone wants to pin this or something they can.

Gen 1 1986-1991

Front: 5.25" (some have used 6.5")
Dash: 3.5" (with Premium/JBL)
Rear: 6x9" (6x8" for the JBL I believe)
Subs: 6x8 drivers mounted under stock 6x8's

Gen 2 1992-1995

Front: 5.25" (some have used 6.5")
Rear (in Sedan): 5x7/6x8
Rear (in Wagon): 6.5"
Sub: 6.5"

Gen 3 1996-1999

Front: 5x7/6x8
Rear: 5x7/6x8
Tweeters: 2" w/inline crossover
Sub: 6x9 (1996 ONLY)

Gen 4 2000-2007

Front: 5x7/6x8
Rear: 5x7/6x8
Tweeters: 1" w/inline crossover
Sub: 6x9 (2000 ONLY)

It is possible to install other sizes by cutting out some adapters. I got 6x9's in my gen 3. You could put 6.5's as well. Just takes a little creativity and a bit of cutting sometimes.

Subs pertain to JBL systems. Stock and Mach systems do not have subwoofer drivers.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I have edited my post to reflect models I left out (I verified them before changing this list).

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In 1996 JBL used a component system with a 5x7" woofer with an inline low pass filter and a 1" tweeter with an inline high pass filter. These were biamplified just like the JBL system in the SHO. In 1997 with the Mach system, Ford used a regular 5x7 and chose only to high pass the tweeters (dunno why because the imaging is bad lol).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Gen I's with premium sound also had 3.5's in the dash. I still don't know whether to order 5.25s or 6.5s for the front...anyone have experience with 6.5s in the front for a gen I?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I'm really not sure.

Could someone who has the Ford service CD please check this out? Get all the wire colours for all the systems, then we can put it in the wiki.

I'll try to look this up later in my repair manual but I don't know if there's anything in there.

I would imagine that it's the same...I can't see why it would be different for the Mach, but the JBL will have the subwoofer out as well so I couldn't say for that one.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You can either dremel out the speaker holes to the appropriate size and top mount them, or you can just bottom mount them. I seem to remember something about the Gen IV having the tension spring for the trunk directly under the speakers, as opposed to the Gen III, where the spring is behind the speakers, so you might need to look into clearance underneath the speakers.

JR

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by Midnight00SE+Mar 21 2006, 09:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Midnight00SE @ Mar 21 2006, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The_Silver_Bullet@Mar 21 2006, 07:59 PM
I was reading the pinned topic at the top about speaker sizes, and I would like to put 6x9's in the two rear speaker holes what do I have to do to get the 6x9's to fit?? Thanks
6x9's will fit with no problem at all. ;) [/b][/quote]
I have a 2000 GenIV Sedan, will 6x9's fit without modifications?

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
I don't think that any gen 4's came with a sub. :)
They have the mach package that has no sub.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by 2gunsup@Apr 29 2006, 09:56 AM
I have a 2000 GenIV Sedan, will 6x9's fit without modifications?
they will fit easily with little modification, but they won't drop in directly the easiest way is to mount them from behind the rear deck panel. as others have warned you may need to pay attention to where the springs are that hold up the trunk for clearance. you will have to drill new holes and use new screws to hold them in place. does anyone have a picture of a 6x9 install from the rear they could post?

to install them from the front you will have to cut the speaker slot larger, that's a bit trickier of an installation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by The_Silver_Bullet@Mar 21 2006, 08:59 PM
what do I have to do to get the 6x9's to fit??
The best way is to get a standard 6X8 (or 5X7) to 6X9 adapter.

Also the first post is wrong regarding the Mach tweeter size. It's 2" not 1" and has a 2" depth ;)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The problem with an adapter is that the carpet covering the rear parcel shelf will not allow for top mounting a taller speaker. Really, the only ways to do it are to bottom mount it, or dremel the holes out.

JR

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 13 2006, 08:44 AM
The problem with an adapter is that the carpet covering the rear parcel shelf will not allow for top mounting a taller speaker.
That was the case with the older adapters. The newer ones are usually only around an inch thick, but since you don't top mount when using an adapter it's not really an issue ;)

the only ways to do it are to bottom mount it, or dremel the holes out.
It would be easier to just dremel the parcel cover a little bit or add a XTC cover to it :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That was the case with the older adapters. The newer ones are usually only around an inch thick, but since you don't top mount when using an adapter it's not really an issue
:blink:

what kind of adapters are you talkin about? most of the ones i have seen are made from 1/8" plastic

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Could do like i did :ph34r:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
60 Replies
36 Participants
scruffman
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing