Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I need some relatively cheap speakers for the front doors of my car. I have a Mach HU and tweeters/pods on the way and I already have Infinity's in the rear and I have 2 Phoenix Gold 12" subs, so to complete my setup I just need a recommendation of something nice, but pretty inexpensive for the fronts. Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

P.S. - what's a cheaper alternative to Dynamat that I could put in the front doors while I have the skings off?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Jay,

Dude you should have asked me this when you were at my house. I recommend polk DB570s. They run about $80-100 per pair (sale) and they sound great. They are 5x7s so they fit right in the factory slots.

Also, for the dynamat, you can try raammat. Its cheap, about $100 shipped, but its way more than you will ever need. Its sold on ebay.

How much of it do you need? If you only need a few pieces I can hook you up.

-Damon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duratecchie@Oct 24 2004, 01:20 AM
Jay,

Dude you should have asked me this when you were at my house. I recommend polk DB570s. They run about $80-100 per pair (sale) and they sound great. They are 5x7s so they fit right in the factory slots.

Also, for the dynamat, you can try raammat. Its cheap, about $100 shipped, but its way more than you will ever need. Its sold on ebay.

How much of it do you need? If you only need a few pieces I can hook you up.

-Damon
Well, when I was at your house, I didn't know I'd be getting the Mach HU and everything, so I wasn't planning on doing anything at that point, I just got the Mach stuff, so now I'm ready to finish my setup. :)

btw... got your PM... will do shortly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Oct 23 2004, 07:49 PM
P.S. - what's a cheaper alternative to Dynamat that I could put in the front doors while I have the skings off?
go to lowes or home depot and get peal and seal out of the roofing supply section. same stuff as dynamatt, and a fraction of the price. just peel off the backing and put it on your doors, then hit it with a heat gun to loosen up the asphaltic base and use the back of a screwdriver or a roller tool to press it down and make good contact. that will be te cheapest option :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Very nice...Polks are good speakers. As hoss said, roofing material is the same exact thing as Rammat and Dynamat. It's just tar, pressed into mats. JR

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 28 2004, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure why everyone says that the rears are just for fill. I get great sound from my rears.

JR
:withstupid:

I put my Infinity's in the rear and have the stockers up front for right now and it made a world of difference with the Infinity's back there. :)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone says that the rears are just for fill.  I get great sound from my rears.

JR

The rears are for fill because music is meant to come at you from the front. When you go to a concert/performance, the band is always in front of you, not behind you. Basically, having the sound in front of you allows the sound to reproduced like it was meant to be heard. With a good enough setup and recording quality, you can pick out where specific instruments were in relation to one another when the music was recorded.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Oct 27 2004, 11:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Oct 27 2004, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Oct 28 2004, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure why everyone says that the rears are just for fill.  I get great sound from my rears.

JR

I put my Infinity's in the rear and have the stockers up front for right now and it made a world of difference with the Infinity's back there. :) [/b][/quote]
Why do you have the better speakers in the back? :headscratch: I would want them up close where I could hear them better...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by golovko+Oct 28 2004, 12:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (golovko @ Oct 28 2004, 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 11:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32
@Oct 28 2004, 12:44 AM

JR

I put my Infinity's in the rear and have the stockers up front for right now and it made a world of difference with the Infinity's back there. :)
Why do you have the better speakers in the back? :headscratch: I would want them up close where I could hear them better... [/b][/quote]
Two reasons:

1. At the time I was too lazy to deal with removing the door skins on the front (plus I had plans for components w/ tweeters in the front). :p

2. My "theory" that the sound waves would bounce off the front and rear windshields seems to have been proven correct. :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Oct 28 2004, 11:01 AM

JR

The rears are for fill because music is meant to come at you from the front. When you go to a concert/performance, the band is always in front of you, not behind you. Basically, having the sound in front of you allows the sound to reproduced like it was meant to be heard. With a good enough setup and recording quality, you can pick out where specific instruments were in relation to one another when the music was recorded.
Right on 100%. If you are using your "better" speakers in the rear you are losing sound and wasting money. Rear is always just considered filler. But the bottom line is if you think it sounds good, then that is all that matters.

I am 12Volt_rep and I approve this message

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep+Oct 28 2004, 10:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (12Volt_rep @ Oct 28 2004, 10:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-golovko@Oct 28 2004, 11:01 AM

JR

Right on 100%. If you are using your "better" speakers in the rear you are losing sound and wasting money. Rear is always just considered filler. But the bottom line is if you think it sounds good, then that is all that matters.

I am 12Volt_rep and I approve this message [/b][/quote]
Well, I'm upgrading the fronts now, too with the polks, so it'll be all good. :thumb:

:lol: So I'm not the only one that thinks that's funny on campaign ads, lol.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Drexel's been sending out all these emails with information for programs in their College of Business, and at the end of them, they've been putting "The Lebow College of Business approved the content of this ad." I think it's hilarious...it's too bad that they have to say it though...wait....struggling not. to. get. poli.tic.al...ok...I'm better now! :lol2:

JR

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Nov 1 2004, 10:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Nov 1 2004, 10:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2004, 10:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-golovko
@Oct 28 2004, 11:01 AM

JR

I am 12Volt_rep and I approve this message
Well, I'm upgrading the fronts now, too with the polks, so it'll be all good. :thumb:

:lol: So I'm not the only one that thinks that's funny on campaign ads, lol. [/b][/quote]
Man, I have been putting that tag line all over stuff. My expense reports for work, fax blasts to my dealers...you name it, I've used it. All I know is I will be glad when this is all over.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, got the new Polk speakers today. Maybe I'll get them installed this weekend, not sure yet if I'll have time or not. I also got my Mach HU and tweeters/pods. I installed the Mach HU really quick today and the Mach HU, Infinity's in the rear and the subs all sound awesome together! :notworthy: Can't wait to get the new speakers put in up front along with the mach tweeters, should be awesome! :banana:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts