Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew anything about having to have a special speaker depth for the taurus. I have a 4 speaker system in my 96 GL and was looking to upgrade eventually and was wondering if I could just buy something of the recommended size....or do I have to get a special depth. Thanks!

Blue Vulcan

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Any 5x7/6x8 should fit in there. You can always adapt new stuff too. If you want an idea of what fits, check out www.crutchfield.com go to speakers/subs and fill in your car info, it'll tell ya what will be a direct bolt-in for you.

I put 5 1/4's in the front doors without cutting anything, and 6x9's in the rear with a couple of mdf rings.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think I know what your trying to ask. And to answer you, according to crutchfield's Easy-Fit Guide, the front speakers on a 96-99 taurus are 6x8 with a maximum depth of 2 7/16in. The rear speakers are also 6x8, but have a maximum depth of 7in. So as long as you stay within those depths you should be fine. I don't think anyones ever had a problem with this, because most manufacturers work most speakers around these dimensions. Hope this helps you out some!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also if you want you could put some 6.5" speakers in the doors or whatever as long as you make an adaptor because no one makes an adapter for a 6.5" speaker to fit in a 5x7/6x8 hole in the Taurus's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I was wondering about this because I'd read somewhere a while back on the internet...some SHO owner was kinda irrate because he couldn't find anyone who made the right speaker depth for his Taurus. (???) Don't know what that was about but I feel better now....my factory system is gonna get the heave-ho as soon as I can afford it. Thanks guys you've been a big help!

Blue Vulcan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts