·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you guys think are better?

Rockford Fosgate Power T1572

OR

Alpine Type R's SPR-57C

It has come down to these 2 options for my speakers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent heard the rockford fosgates. but they gave a great reputation. and I like type R's but Im not sure if the rockfords sound any better

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Are you an audiophile who can hear the difference between a standard MP3 encoded recording and a CD quality recording?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have the 6-1/2 component version of Alpine Type R in my front doors and I guess they're fine. I can't pin point any flaw with them. I haven't used too many other speakers, but I am certainly happy with this purchase. After a break in period, they can get very loud without sounding harsh or distorting. They handle a lot of power and produce good mid-bass for such a small speaker. You do need a quite powerful amplifier to power them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd recommend the Polk MM series. Can get them for about 120- a pair on the web (6-1/2's or 5x7's).
Fosgate makes great amps but not particularly known for their speakers... Alpine best known for their head units. Polk is 1st a spkr manufacturer and these are their mid priced mobiles. They'll need good power and a decent sub.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I run Infinity Reference 6x8's all around in my Taurus, I must say The JBL RCU helped but I need to get an aftermarket Headunit and amp to run these speakers properly, there isn't enough adjustment on a Factory unit. I have experience with Polk MM Series speakers and I think they sound GREAT (I had a Set in my Ford Focus) and pushed them with a JL audio amp 4x100 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'd recommend the Polk MM series. Can get them for about 120- a pair on the web (6-1/2's or 5x7's).
Fosgate makes great amps but not particularly known for their speakers... Alpine best known for their head units. Polk is 1st a spkr manufacturer and these are their mid priced mobiles. They'll need good power and a decent sub.
Alpine supposedly makes lots of good audio stuff. Their speakers and subwoofers are well regarded, specially type-r and type-x series. Also their amplifiers are considered pretty good. Alpine head units really shine once combined with Alpine's Imprint, but without Imprint they're not very special.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
BTW, some people say that moving the tweeter up into door sails may screw up imaging and time alignment. However, in my view putting the tweeters into the door sails (where there used to be Mach tweeters) is the way to go in our cars. The sound stage is much better. I'd personally recommended to get Alpine Type R 6.5 component speakers, or any other component speakers that come with a free 6x8 adapter, and put the tweeter in the door sails. With 6x8 coaxial speakers the sound stage keeps staying in the lower part of the dash and sound feels less full.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
That is not a problem I have experienced. Most coax speakers tend to be too midrange and bass heavy, with weak tweeters. I replaced my blown stock speakers with Kenwood Excelon 6x8 coax units, and have noticed an exceptional well rounded sound.

My personal experiences with Rockford Fosgate have been poor. They are excellent sounding, well rounded, and they will fail at random and blow out well below their rated RMS. I had mine in my Aerostar for about 3 weeks before the passenger side went out. Switched to Kenwoods Excelon and was impressed by the difference, plus they were louder at lower power levels, and could still take more power. I would recommend Kenwood Excelons, they are at the low price range of the high quality speakers. The Alpines are the high price end of the mid quality stuff., so they are not much cheaper, but are still a lower quality.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
alpine stopped making good head units like 3ish years ago. theyre speakers are amazing. especially type r's and x's. type s's are average and type e's are crap replacemets. their amps are pretty good too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me too! BTW, I hate Itunes because of that. If they sold CD-quality downloads I would be extremely happy!

apple is currently going through the process of offering 24 bit lossless files, working with record companies i heard. i believe 16 bit cd quality is in the works as well.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That is not a problem I have experienced. Most coax speakers tend to be too midrange and bass heavy, with weak tweeters.
This is probably right. But there are also many 2-way coaxial speakers that are basically coaxial versions of a component system from the same manufacturer. For example, Alpine Type R/S and Infinity Reference/Kappa speakers have both versions. They use the same materials, tweeters, etc. In some cases, the coaxial speaker has a weaker crossover circuity than the component versions, but the biggest difference in sound quality probably comes from tweeter placement.

The Alpines are the high price end of the mid quality stuff., so they are not much cheaper, but are still a lower quality.
I have read many reviews and I haven't heard of Alpine speaker quality problems. I had my Alpine Type R components for a few months and I like to listen my music loud. They're rated for 110watts RMS. I have them running off channels rated for 160watts in bridged mode, high passed at 70Hz, and they can take it.. The only problem is that the power requirement is a little steep for entry level amplifiers. That's why I run mine in bridged mode. I bought my set for about $140 from a no-name internet seller. It's amazing that you can get two sets of fine sounding speakers, two crossovers, and mounting hardware including 6x8 adapter for so little money..

·
Registered
374 Posts
What amp is driving these speakers? If it is either RCU, then go with whichever one is cheaper. The RCUs leave a lot to be desired and won't drive either speaker set to their full potential.

Currently I have the MACH RCU, a set of cheap Powerbass 5 1/4" components (Kept the MACH tweeters though) in the front doors and cheap Powerbass 5 1/4" coaxials in the rear deck. What I have now, I would have if I bought Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, (Insert any other mainstream name here), but I spent a lot less. Am I happy with it? No, but it was an upgrade over what was there.

What I am aiming for is McIntosh MSS530s both in the front doors and rear decks. They are 5 1/4" components, pair them with a McIntosh MCC404M 100Wx4-channel amp and an MX406 head unit. Simple, clean, and besides the head unit, no one knows what you have, but these are top shelf components, true audiophile stuff and you will pay big for it. I used to run Bostons in most of my vehicles until I heard these in person.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have Rockford Fosgate R1653 on all 4 corners powered off a Sony deck, they sound nice but if you plan on getting The T-1572 then i think you would need a amp to power them. i plan on getting an amp to my speaker very soon

Since the T-1572 are rated at 70 watts rms each, i would be best to get an amp.

here is a nice amp that i think would work
Rockford Fosgate R300-4 (r3004) 300W, Prime Series 4-Channel

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also have Rockford's in all each spot. THey are just the bottom level and cost about $60 a pair and they are just powered by my kenwood deck. Sounds amazing!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I heard that as far as cheap amplifiers go, Kenwoods are fair. However, I'd get a more powerful amplifier just to be safe. The Alpine Type R speakers are rated for 100-110watts RMS, depending on model. I'd get something like MB Quart ONX4.125. It provides 125watts RMS per channel for 4 ohm loads, or 500watts in bridged mode. You can find them for no more than $200, before shipping. It's a pretty large amplifier though. I have an amplifier of about that size and still haven't figured out where to mount it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts