Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be putting some pioneer's into the car soon (6.5's up front and 6x8's in the back) since I already blew out one of the paper speakers with too much bass. However I don't want to hack them into the wiring like I did with the last car. I've read on here that you can get adapters to plug the factory harness into the speakers (from scosche I think) but I can't find anything.

If I have too I will just use taps to connect the speakers but this is not the preferred method for obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
While it it is true that you can use adapters, there is really no reason to ever switch back to a factory speaker. All aftermarket speakers use either plug on spade connectors or spring loaded clamps.

If your speakers ever gave out again, just get another set of speakers, the connectors will be the same.

On my car, I just cut the old connector off, then soldered on the new connectors and used shrink wrap to seal the connection. That way it is nice and clean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both Metra (no. 72-5600) and Scosche make adapters. Best buy usually has Metra in stock ~ $12. I got mine here for $9 w/ 2 day del.!: Volunteer Automotive and Car Audio items - Get great deals on Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapters items on eBay Stores!. I'm glad I did. It was 100F. the day I did it and every minute saved was important, not to mention easier. The adapter's leads are diff. sizes to avoid polarity problems and will slip onto the Pioneers, which I also used, which have diff. size terminals that will match the adapters.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just bought the adapters on ebay. Should make installing the new speakers a snap!

The only reason I wanted to get the adapters is so I could take the speakers back out if I was to wreck/sell the car (if they're salvageable.) I wanted to save the speakers from the '01 but they were hacked in and couldn't be replaced with the factory speakers (which I still have :).) And since I bought the rear speakers used (they're in good shape) they didn't come with any mounting hardware or connectors of any kind. If I couldn't find adapters I was planning on using either taps or (preferably) soldering the wires to the speaker terminals like Khan mentioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts