Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 bull is approaching 70k miles. Does anyone actually recommend waiting to change the plugs until 100k? I think this is when ford suggests it. About when are the rest of you doing it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i havent had much to do with usa fords but in australia the six cylinder falcon they recommend 150000 kilometers so some where about 95000 miles.but theyy dont last that long so i would change them earlier.you find the car runs better and you get better milage.

Ian

·
Registered
91 Posts
I changed them in my 06 @ 98k. The car still ran fine and achieved 28-29 mpg. I did notice a slight improvement in performance. I would not change them @ 70k unless you have or suspect an issue with them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Changing them at 70k as preventative maintenance is a great idea. You never know what condition the plugs are in until you pull them out. They could wear prematurely.

As cheap as they are and relatively easy i would change them out. Make sure to use either Motorcraft or Autolite Platinums. I am using Bosch IR Fusions and they are the only BOSCH plugs i can recommend after going through Bosch Platinums with issues.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'll add my 2¢. I would recommend you change them at 80K miles. I changed mine around 100K miles. With the used plugs remove 2 of the 6 had no middle electrode but it was still firing (Motorcraft plugs).

I replaced them with new Motorcraft plugs and immediately felt a difference at idle and acceleration. One of the best ways to gauge changing the plugs is to see how far they are worn with mileage.

If at 80K miles they show no or very little wear then I would go a 100K before changing them.

Monsoon

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi, The Ford ignition on the Taurus is very powerful. I found that OEM spark plugs were nearly worn out (much bigger spark gap) at 70,000 miles. Yet, they will run a long time on bigger gaps before you notice reduced performance. I would say to replace them at about 70,000 miles. The gap on mine was about 80 Thou at 70,000 miles---too much!. The Voltage is so high that the Taurus spark plugs will spark on "nubs". (Maybe that's why they eat Bosch Plugs?).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I waited until 100k to do mine, the plugs still looked pretty new, the gap didn't widen as much as I thought it would. I would just wait until summer before thinking about doing the plugs, it will be fine until then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I replaced mine for the first time at 101,050 and was shocked to see how wide the gap was; over .080, or almost double what they're set to when installed. I plan to still have this car at 200,000 miles, but won't wait until then to change them the next time.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I replaced mine for the first time at 101,050 and was shocked to see how wide the gap was; over .080, or almost double what they're set to when installed.

My ford ranger at 80K something miles had the same large gap. My taurus is approaching 70K so I am considering doing these maybe this summer if not within the next 18 months.

·
Registered
437 Posts
These posts show that OEM spark plugs do not survive 100,000 miles. Yet it looks like a Taurus will go 100,000 miles on very worn out plugs. That's great if you are selling it. If you are buying it check the spark plugs. My 2001 roared into a diferent world with new plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rear Plug Removal on 05 Vulcan

Can anyone provide detailed steps on removing the Intake Mani to get to the three rear plugs on an 05 Vulcan? Pix would help. I am struggling with what exactly to disconnect before taking the I.M. bolts off. P.S. has anyone taken out the plugs without removing the Mani.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Do not have pictures but here are some hints. Take off the air filter cover and all parts up to the throttle body including the electrical connections. There are 2 plugs to undo. Move out of the way. Under the throttle body is on small nut on a stud supporting the Intake Manifold.
Then disconnect the EGR on the back of the Manifold, 2 bolts. Disconnect all of the vacuum lines and electrical along the back of the manifold, 2 connectors and 5 vacuum lines. Now unbolt the manifold and it will be able to be moved out of the way. Get new gasket for the intake and the EGR valve, they are cheap. Now you can get to the plugs. Should take a couple of hours and you will be there! If you search the net you will find the pictures easily.
Be well and good luck!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
has anyone had any issues getting the plugs out of the heads?
My understanding is that Vulcans don't have issues with spark plug threading. I could be wrong though. It's still entirely possible for them to be striped or seized in, but I've never seen or heard of it on a Vulcan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You do not have to remove the intake manifold to remove the rear plugs. I removed the plastic cowl as if you were going to replace the cabin filter. I had plenty of room this way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
plugs

I changed the rear plugs in my 06 without removing the intake,i just removed in plastic tubing from the tb and the plastic cowing under the windshield and they were very easy to reach.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 157000 miles on the origanal plugs, still going strong. i will be changing them this spring though. i guess its about time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! The car will just hit 70k early next week. I think the next time I change the oil (73-74k) I will check the front plugs and go from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts