Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size wrench is required to remove a spark plug in a 2001 Taurus Vuilcan engine? My 5/8" does not seem to go in far enough. Does it require a thin walled socket? Thanks Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure what size it is but most spark plugs are the same in vehicles. Your best bet is to buy a spark plug socket. Then you have the right size and the little rubber oring they put inside of it to hold the plug. Saved me on more than one occasion!!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I'm about 95% sure that a regular 5/8ths spark plug socket fits the Vulcan just fine. I know a 3/4 is too big. I used one out of a cheap Taiwan made set as well. You have to make sure that the rubber part actually locks onto the plug. Sometimes on a newer socket it can take a bit of force.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You may also have to clean around the plug with a pick to get some of the dirt that can pack in around the plug. Some of them can be tight clearance around the plug (cylinder 4 on my 95 was real tight clearance and I ended up using a thin wall on it).

If you do pick out some dirt, it's a good idea to blow the residue out with air, carb cleaner or something of that nature.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, to save yourself trouble, buy a spark plug socket. They are normally thin walled, they are deep enough for spark plugs, and they have a rubber cushion, which holds and protects the plug as you install it, so that the risk of damaging the plug is minimized. They also have a 3/4" hex head, which is useful in some tight situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts