Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, i did a lite tune-up on my bull. I opted to pay a little more and buy some nice plugs, so i bought Bosch Platinum +2 Yttrium core plugs. My car LOVES these plugs. My last plugs were Bosch Platinum Pluses, and they had been in the car over a year before i noticed even a slight hesitation and increase in fuel consumption. Total cost for plugs was around 30 bucks, and i say they are well worth the price. I used to buy Autolites, but now i always use Bosch.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Bosch plugs + Fords is usually :noes:. They just usually seem to not get along very well - Autolite and Motorcraft are sure bets, and I haven't heard anything bad about NGKs in Tauruses either.

A few people have great results, but lots of people have nightmare stories. I have Bosch wires, but Motorcraft plugs.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I used Bosch single platinum in my 94 3.8L for 10 years, took them out last year when I replaced the wires, distributor cap, rotor & replaced the Bosch plugs with the new specified fine wire Motorcraft AGSF44FM plugs.

The Bosch plugs still looked just fine inside & out & the gap was still in spec, so I was wondering why the heck I was replacing them!!!! lol

The 3,8L always started & ran just fine with them. The 3.8L Essex is a German engine, so it seems tome if we choose the right heat range plug for it, they should do ok & it has.

Now I don't know about using the multi ground electrode Bosch models.

Vehicles with a "waste spark" system need to use a double platinum type plug, to prevent negative electrode errosion on one bank of cylinders, so I'd likely stay with the specified OEM Motorcraft plugs on those type ignition systems.

Back when I changed to the Bosch single platinum plugs, Motorcraft didn't offer platinum, only copper plugs & they were specified for 30K changes & they needed it, so I sure didn't want to have to have the pleasure of changing the rear bank on the 3.8L that often!!!! lol

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:werd: There were two Essex V6s, but neither was German. One was made in the UK (60-degree V6, 2.5 or 3.0L) and ours was made in Windsor, Ontario and is a 90-degree V6. They're the same in name only. Maybe you're thinking of the Cologne V6?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Good grief, it looks like my grey matter has layed down on me again & maybe I've confused in my mind a 10 year old engine conversation with my Dealers Servce Manager, in which we were discussing the history of my 99 Rangers 4.0L Colonge engine, which has German roots!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (imafordboi69 @ Feb 18 2009, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=703546
This weekend, i did a lite tune-up on my bull. I opted to pay a little more and buy some nice plugs, so i bought Bosch Platinum +2 Yttrium core plugs. My car LOVES these plugs. My last plugs were Bosch Platinum Pluses, and they had been in the car over a year before i noticed even a slight hesitation and increase in fuel consumption. Total cost for plugs was around 30 bucks, and i say they are well worth the price. I used to buy Autolites, but now i always use Bosch.[/b]
I've been using the Bosch platinum iridium fusion plugs in my fords for ~5 years and I love them. The first car I ran them in was a 96 windstar 3.8L and now I run them in my 2000 Sable. No problems so far. I check plugs every 50k miles and I've never needed to replace these plugs. On the windstar they lasted 100,000 miles and they went in at the 100k mark on the old girl. I sold her for $700 at 205k miles and bought the Sable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my 2003 SE Vulcan, I use Bosch platinum 4+ plugs, they cost me quite a bit more ($60 CAD) however they are fantastic, starts faster, runs better and i noticed a small power increase. My previous plugs (from previous owner) were AC Delco so nothing special. Would highly suggest the Bosch platinum 4+ plugs for anyone with a Vulcan (not sure about duratec's as i dont have one) :car_logo:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad to hear some people getting good results with the Bosch plugs. I went with Autolite double plats and so far so good :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I couldn't get copper this year so decided to get autolite platinum. Hopefully I'll be installing them within a few weeks. The coppers with 15000 miles are starting to get old.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 2 2009, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704552
Good grief, it looks like my grey matter has layed down on me again & maybe I've confused in my mind a 10 year old engine conversation with my Dealers Servce Manager, in which we were discussing the history of my 99 Rangers 4.0L Colonge engine, which has German roots!!!![/b]

I had the German 3.8 in an Aerostar. It had valves that needed adjusting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts