Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used 2002 mercury sable with the DOHC engine. I want to change plugs and wires. Any tips on getting to the ignition coil and back plugs. Also my haynes manual says 2000 and up DOHC engines have coil on plug?

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Coils

Recently bought a used 2002 mercury sable with the DOHC engine. I want to change plugs and wires. Any tips on getting to the ignition coil and back plugs. Also my haynes manual says 2000 and up DOHC engines have coil on plug?
I think '00 had coil on the plug, then '01 through '03 had coil pack, then '04 on used the coil on the plug.

I have '01 and '03, both have coil pack near the firewall.

I am doing my back plugs tomorrow and I will remove the upper intake.

Since I am doing the upper intake, I will replace the ell on the PCV and one vacuum hose on the pas side near firewall that is really dry and crumbling. Don't know what Ford did, but some hoses get soft and mushy, some get dry and crumble. Others do look fine.

I prefer to combine jobs when practical.

I am using Autolite XP 104 which is double platinum iridium.
Factory plugs 110K were single platinum, that is platinum on the center electode only. The car was running fine. The used plugs had a gap over .060 but you cannot check the gap accurately. The side electrode is eroded in a concave pocket where the spark hits. My plugs were pretty tight but the first 3 came out ok. Book says 7 to 14 ft lbs torque, but plug maker says 1/16 turn after hand tight.

Unless plug wires are damaged or open, there is no reason to replace in my op.

If I did new plug wires, I would ohm each for being OK. I have been thrown by an open wire on a new set. It is easy to assume new is good.

-chart-

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Factory plugs 110K were single platinum, that is platinum on the center electode only.
The factory plugs on the rear bank are double platinums. This is due to the way the factory waste spark system works. The rear plugs actually fire in reverse polarity on the waste spark. It's simply penny pinching by Ford to put single platinums on the front bank. I would just buy double platinums or iridiums for all 6 cylinders for peace of mind, but you could use AP-104's on the front bank and APP-104's on the back.

BTW, Wal-Mart has great prices on Autolite plugs. I bought 6 double platinum APP-104's for under $25 with sales tax.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Plugs

The factory plugs on the rear bank are double platinums. This is due to the way the factory waste spark system works. The rear plugs actually fire in reverse polarity on the waste spark. It's simply penny pinching by Ford to put single platinums on the front bank. I would just buy double platinums or iridiums for all 6 cylinders for peace of mind, but you could use AP-104's on the front bank and APP-104's on the back.

BTW, Wal-Mart has great prices on Autolite plugs. I bought 6 double platinum APP-104's for under $25 with sales tax.
OK I have not removed the back ones yet. I get it about the two types of plugs. I got XP-104 from RockAuto for $27.12. And there is a $2 per rebate. My WM has little in plugs.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Youll be fine with motorcraft or autolite for the plugs and wires. ^+1 with Chart on removing the uim (upper intake manifold) to easily access the #1 (firewall) bank and perform cleaning and other maintenance, although many on here just remove the windshield cowling, and others claim to remove nothing at all. I like to clean the maf, iac, tb, uim, egr valve, pcv valve and check/replace its hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts