Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just replaced my spark plugs with some Motorcraft platinums and asked about the wires at the local Kragen's/O'Reilly. They had some for $20.00 but I decided the check in here before I sprung for the new ones. I'd hate to have to put in another set after finding out I had spent $20.00 on some junk ones.

Would those be ok for the 1995 GL 3.0 I have or should I try for something better?

·
Banned
323 Posts
I always use OEM parts..Motorcraft. My '97, with 161,000 miles, still has the factory original wires and plugs in it, and purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. Can't tell if I have factory originals as they have no markings on them at all. Would that be typical of that model year or should they have markings if they were originals?

Got 18 mpg on last tank fill up while driving soley around town. Doesn't seem like I am having any problems with them, I just wonder if the other shoe is going to drop when I take it out on a long drive sometime.

·
Banned
323 Posts
I honestly don't know....I would think that the ''Motorcraft'' logo would be on them at least.

If you're not having any problem whether it's in dry or wet conditions, I'd leave 'em alone. One thing that's easy to check...at night, with the engine running, open the hood and see if you can see any electrical ''leakage'' running along the wires. If you do, that's a sign that they've degraded to a point where not all the electrical input is getting to the spark plugs and should be replaced. This little tip was told to me many years ago by a mechanic who had been turning wrenches since the dawn of time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I would think I would see the logo too if they were stock. Thanks for the tip about looking at them at night, I seem to remember being told about this when I took auto shop back in the 70s.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The OEM Wires have the Cylinder# and "Motorcraft" on each wire as well as the production year, Mine did and I replaced them with Duralast Wires I have no complaints with aftermarket wires, just make sure you use the Factory wire stays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts