Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for plugs for my 2000 Duratec with COP ignition. I am planning on staying with Motorcraft, and I looking for part numbers. Since Ford changes part numbers so much, I'm not really sure what I need. From the motorcraft website I have found the following numbers:

AGSF32W
AGSF32WM
32W
AGSF32W
32WM
632W
632WM
AGSF32WM

Now, according to Motorcraft they all fit. In my owners manual it has a different number, AGSF32PP I belive. Anyone here replace with OEM Motorcrafts? If so, what part number did you end up with and where did you get them? I can get some from O'Reilly's here in town for $2.19 each and they are the AGSF32W plugs.

Now, with the COP ignition should I be going for double plats?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You said it- Ford changed the part numbers on their plugs a while ago. I would call a Ford Dealer's parts department and ask them for the correct plug number for your engine. Then go to an el-cheapo parts store that sells original motorcraft parts and get them there.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by bskouby@Jun 8 2004, 02:04 PM
Looking for plugs for my 2000 Duratec with COP ignition. I am planning on staying with Motorcraft, and I looking for part numbers. Since Ford changes part numbers so much, I'm not really sure what I need. From the motorcraft website I have found the following numbers:

AGSF32W
AGSF32WM
32W
AGSF32W
32WM
632W
632WM
AGSF32WM

Now, according to Motorcraft they all fit. In my owners manual it has a different number, AGSF32PP I belive. Anyone here replace with OEM Motorcrafts? If so, what part number did you end up with and where did you get them? I can get some from O'Reilly's here in town for $2.19 each and they are the AGSF32W plugs.

Now, with the COP ignition should I be going for double plats?
My 98 Duratec engine recommends Motorcraft AWSF-32F plugs but Alberto (americanmotorsport.com) recommended Motorcraft AWSF-22C Copper Core Plugs - (One Heat Range Colder Than Stock) before i got my PCM reprogrammed by him.

The copper core plugs conduct electricity better then platinum, oem just uses platinum because they can go almost 100K before they need to be replaced unlike the copper which would be closer to 30k. Other then durability platinum is not better.

If you pm him he might be able to help you with your question.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Deniz@Jun 8 2004, 02:13 PM
You said it- Ford changed the part numbers on their plugs a while ago. I would call a Ford Dealer's parts department and ask them for the correct plug number for your engine. Then go to an el-cheapo parts store that sells original motorcraft parts and get them there.
Also if you have my luck and all 6 local part stores don't have the plugs and only the stealership does try rockauto.com, i got 12 so i have some for down the road and it made shipping cheaper that way. Even with shipping (4 bucks or so) it was still half the price of the local stealership.

G

·
I would go with the part # that came off of the manual. Go to the local Autozone and cross reference the number. (most likely this will show the OLD part number from Ford) And they should help you from there. I wouldn't go anything less then Double Platinum. For the reason that I like em a WHOLE lot more then any other plug. Also, dont go cheap when you are doing this process! Go with Motorcrafts, and do it right the first time. Autozone carries Motorcraft. When I got mine for my 98 Sable, cost a pretty penny. Like $7 each plug... something like that. But the car runs SWEET! You'll totally notice the difference when you replace them. Also you might want to replace the vacuum lines that run at the throttle body. I only had 50K miles on my car when I changed em, and they were all hardened. So this is something you might want to be thinking about.

If you need any help, you can ask me! ;) Good Luck

SableSal

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all it will be a cold day before I go to my local Autozone. Those people cannot find their a** with both hands. There is an Oreilly's here that sells Motorcraft plugs, I will probably just go there and order them. Personally I like to do the cross reference myself because I really don't trust auto parts stores to get it right. All they do is look in their computer and give me what it tells them, I have been down that path before and am not going to do it again.

I will look into ordering from the rockauto.com website like hightecredneck suggested. I was just asking anyone that has recently installed OEM Motorcrafts what part number they used. Ford has the habit of "updating" items for the car, and it is hard to stay up with it.

As for a copper core plug, I run them in my Ranger (heat range cooler) and I ran them in my 94 Taurus (heat range cooler) to prevent pre-detonation (massive pinging). But since my Sable runs like a top on these OEM Motorcrafts, that is what I am going to use. Personally I don't think I need to replace them yet, but I am not comfortable leaving plugs in for 60K much less 100K. I can just imagine how hard it would be to get those plugs out of an aluminum head after 100K miles. I currently have 42,000 on the car and would like to get them done before I hit 50,000.

I would call my stealership, but they are less than helpful when crossreferencing part numbers. They seem to know when you are just asking them for numbers to buy elsewhere. Maybe I will drop by there in a few days and see if the *good* parts guy is working (the ONLY personally willing to help).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I checked out www.rockauto.com and I ended up buying the plugs I wanted there. From what I have found AGSF32WM are direct OEM replacements for my Sable. I did call my local stealership this morning (I was curious) and they were a whopping $5.68 each for those plugs. I logged onto rockauto.com and found the exact same plugs for $2.65 each plus $4.25 shipping. So for $20.15 I ordered the plugs I wanted. I also looked at other parts for various vehicles that I work on and their prices seem competitive. I will see how well this small order goes, and if they impress me I will continue to order from them.

G

·
oooh, bad Champions. I hate those plugs. Those are the first plug that I know... that will stay stuck in the head after 3K milkes! Bad expieriences with these plugs! So ... just to let you know. LOL

SABLESAL

·
Registered
4 Posts
It doesn't really matter what brand you get, as long as they fit correctly. There is little to no difference between brands. When I replaced the plugs on my Duratec last weed I went with ACDelco plugs randomly, and they work great.

Let me tell you though, replacing the plugs was an absolute b****. Following the guide it took me around 2-3 hours to complete.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by snagy100@Jun 9 2004, 01:36 PM

Let me tell you though, replacing the plugs was an absolute b****. Following the guide it took me around 2-3 hours to complete.
Well, nothing can be harder than the dang PCV valve. That thing was a pain. I figure I will just pull off the upper intake so I can get to the back plugs. As long as I can get them out of the head I will be okay. These aluminum heads worry me a bit, I figure it can be really easy to cross thread or strip out a hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.