Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - the link for the intake manifold removal for the G4 is down in the topic finder.

2000 sable with the duratec

I want to replace the plugs, and boots on my sable, so I think it would be easier to remove the intake manifold to tackle this chore.

Is this a good idea? I saw something about cleaning the intake ports, is this something I should do? should I get a new gasket for this?

does anyone have a tech article for valve cover gasket replacement too? I want to do this at the same time.

Thanks guys.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Any gasket seals you break open need replacement. Removing the wiper arms and the upper and lower plastic windshield cowl pieces is a whole lot easier in my opinion. Works for me and no worries about gasket leaks. I use a Seafoam treatment if I need to clean out the manifold. Are your valve covers leaking oil? No use fixing something that ain't broke...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would pull the manifold. I prefer this method because:

1: The upper intake manifold gaskets may eventually start leaking anyway. If you replace the gasket, you head off that problem. If you use the Fel-Pro gaskets, they are better than OEM anyway.

2: Cleaning the butterfly valves and such is easiest while the intake is off anyway.

3: If your valve cover gaskets are leaking, its not that much more effort to replace them as well, which is what I did.

A list of things you will need

The correct Autolite, Motorcraft, or NGK double platinum or better plugs.
Upper intake gasket
EGR gasket
Throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner)
wire set, Motorcraft, Autolite, NGK, or Magnacore
anti-seize compound

If you want to do the valve cover gaskets too, the Fel-Pro Permadry gaskets are the way to go.
Sensor safe RTV (for the valve covers)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've changed the plugs twice on my 2000 Ford Taurus wagon with the Duratec. Once by removing the intake manifold and once by removing the wiper cowling.

The wiper cowl method was definitely much faster than the intake manifold. The only problem I had was with the last plug closest to the driver side. I've got three different swivel extenders, so it was easy enough to get the plug in and out, but the area is tight and hard to maneuver. I'd still rather remove the cowl than the intake manifold to do the spark plugs.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts