Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I got a sable 2000 3.0L vulcan type U engine OHV. I left the plugs in to long (65,000 miles) as my procrastination side was preventing me from replacing them. The old motocraft platinum plugs had a gap of about .095"! It is amasing the car still ran as well as it did. I had one bear of a time removing the #1 plug. Plug wire connector tore off boot so new wires. Then, wrench slipped and I snapped both hoses off the EGR pressure valve on the manifold. Hate when that happens! So now I have new sensor, wires and champion 3408 platinum power plugs. After reading the chilton manual for Taurus/Sable 1996-99, they indicate two different types of plugs to be used for each bank of cylinders. A "P" suffix plug is called out on cylinders 4,5, and 6 while a "PG" suffix is to be used for cylinders 1,2, and 3. The old Motocraft plugs I pulled out had those markings on them. Per NAPA Champion plugs model 3408 works on all six cylinders. The question I have is the P and PG ratings on motocraft plugs. Is that no longer required? Do All the other manufactures of plugs have different plugs for each bank of cylinders? Don't know why ford engineers thought they needed two different ratings to make the engine work. I have never experienced an engine like this before.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I believe there was some theory floating around that because of the heat they used different plugs in the back.

You can use either and you will be fine.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Whenever we replace plugs in the shop, the new ones are all the same. The only difference i know of in factory plugs is that some have a platinum centre electrode, while some have a platinum side electrode. Which kind goes where depends on the ignition system setup, but basically, with paired cylinders the spark always goes the same direction - from the coil to one plug, from the center electrode to the side of that plug, thru the block to it's paired plug, from the side electrode to the center, and back to the coil. So the electrode from which the spark leaves is the platinum one since it will wear faster, while the other is not, to save money. Replacement plugs are double platinum, so it doesn't matter what plug goes where.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts