Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for opinion on Autolite XP

Bought used Sable with DOHC 81K. Pulled a plug and it was XP-104 and looked quite good. Clearly has been replaced.

Any thoughts on this plug. I might use the same on my '01 with 110K looking for it's first plugs.

-chart-

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Autolite XP

Chart, those are the iridiums, right? Ive heard a lot of pros, no cons. Supposedly good longevity.
These spark plugs are one of the brand's most technologically advanced spark plugs ever. With an iridium-enhanced .6 mm finewire design and proprietary platinum sidewire technology, these spark plugs provide better durability* and a more focused ignition for better overall ignitability** and optimum performance.

So they say.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm running the Motorcraft equivalent design plug in my 99 Ranger 4.0L & they're doing fine. Can't say mpg is any better, at least I've not been able to measure an improvement in town, BUT I do notice quicker starts & in cold weather, when the battery is having to work it's hardest to run the starter motor to crank the engine, run the fuel pump & fire the plugs, they all appreciate those faster starts.

With the finewire iridium enhanced center electrode, the plugs will fire at a lower voltage & that fine wire center electrode will concentrate the spark to get a nice flame kernal started. The iridium enhanced center electrode & plantinum side wire will likely hold the spark gap longer, as iridium has a much higher melting point than platinum, the center electrode should erode more slowly, thus spark gap should remain in spec longer.

My Rangers OEM single platinum plugs spark gap was set by me when new, to the min side of spec, but were .008 over Max spec in only 34K miles, so no way were they going to be any where near in spec at 100K miles, as Ford said they would last. At 70K the electrodes were shot & in need of replacement.

The finewire replacements seem to be holding gap fine & it's been about 3 years now.
I also am using them in my 94 3.8L Taurus, as the rear bank of plugs are such a bear for me to get at, so I thought I'd pull one of Ron P's "set it & forget it" deals, if I'd switch the Taurus over to them, so I did & it too starts quicker than the single platinum I had in it for about 10 years.

Recently changed the wifes 2000 Neon ohc engine over to the Autolite XP & it too starts noticably faster.

So far I'm having positive results with them in three different engines, so right now the XP design gets a thumbs up from me!!!

Also Autolite has a sizeable rebate on the XP, so check out they're website to down load a form. Maybe you can catch them on sale, (maybe during the July 4th holiday) like I did & with the rebate, they were about $2.50 ea, a good deal!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had my ngk iridiums for 4 years and they're still fine. Iridium plugs seem to last a good while from what I see.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Asking for opinion on Autolite XP

Bought used Sable with DOHC 81K. Pulled a plug and it was XP-104 and looked quite good. Clearly has been replaced.

Any thoughts on this plug. I might use the same on my '01 with 110K looking for it's first plugs.

-chart-
Pic of original with 111K on it.

AGSV-32FM Motorcraft Platinum

Gap is a tight .058"

Main reason for replacement is the possibility of not being able to get them out later in life.

This car runs perfect before plugs. Three things that made a diference in idle.

Used DPFE from junk yard and cleaning the IAC with naptha and Q-Tip.
New PCV valve and hose. No more CEL P-0402.

It now does not hunt for rpm on startup, and will hold rpm ~50 going from N to D, A/C max, lights high.

No difference with plugs. Wires Ohm test was OK, no outside damage.

Just sharing.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Before installation, I brush a light layer of Permatex high temp nickle anti-sieze onto the spark plug threads & torque them to the MIN side of spec & they've always come right out. The Taurus single platinum plugs had been in there since 97 & when I replaced them in 09, no problem in removing any of them after 12 years!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Double plats are my replacement choice, they will go 150k or more if necessary.
Iridiums are great, been using them in my snowmobiles, 2 stroke high horse motors are the toughest on plugs, plus waste spark systems, and the iridiums have been outlasting conv. plugs 10 to 1 in my experience. In a car not worth the money IMO but in powersports motors it's my choice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I pulled out a set of autolite plats from the P/O, was getting a skip and buck on accel. Put in motorcraft plats from advance auto, prettty cheap at $3.99 plugs. Idle smoothed out, accel was smoother. That was the first step in many problems this car had. Funny thing: I kinda feel like autolite makes motorcraft? Discuss.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Gap is a tight .058"

Main reason for replacement is the possibility of not being able to get them out later in life.

It now does not hunt for rpm on startup, and will hold rpm ~50 going from N to D, A/C max, lights high.

Just sharing.

-chart-

I've gotta ask becasue the search function is worthless. Whats a DPFE? I've been chasing an idle issue for a year now.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Back Side

Gap is a tight .058"

Just sharing.

-chart-
I decided to remove the upper intake to get to the rear plugs. I am glad I did it this way. Trying to do it through the cowl would be a back breaker.

Worked out just fine. Original plugs 111K.

Someone indicated that they used double platinum in the back 3, and that was always my understanding. Mine had single platinum in all. The back 3 were really bad worn. About .012 more gap than the fronts which were maybe .004 worn. The fine wire platinum was nearly gone. Anyway, double platinum all arouond for me.

The one bad vacuum hose I just cut when removing the intake. Cut new hose length to match the old one. At the same time, I replaced the PCV elbow and connector to the valve. It was leaking in the short connector, rather obvious. Not rotten, just swelled up and loose.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Chart, throw 6 qts in that tec and itll be right at the top of the crosshatch (safe) area. Easier to remember and no 1/2 qts. laying around, lol! 5 qts. in a vulcan.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No OverFill

Chart, throw 6 qts in that tec and itll be right at the top of the crosshatch (safe) area. Easier to remember and no 1/2 qts. laying around, lol! 5 qts. in a vulcan.
I prefer to not do over fill on the Sables. I do it a tick on the Lincoln if I am going on a long trip. The Lin is 5.7 or maybe 5.8 Q. It uses maybe a Q in 3K miles. Used to go on some trips, 3500 Miles in 5 to 7 days. In that case I would over fill by a tick so as not to have to add along the way.

I go back to the original Ford rec when they first came out with half Q cap. For the 4.5 they said to put 4Q in and when it got down to "add" then put in the Q. I would do that on my Sables. (01 and 03) But, neither get down to the "add" line so no issue.

I buy my oil in 5Q jugs. So I just use one for an oil change. I use some quart bottles of the same type oil and take a 5Q and divide it up for lawn mowers and snow blowers:lol2:. And if I do need to add some, there it is, on the shelf. I have a shelf for oil, filters, and antifreeze.

And I use 10-30 in everything. Just my way of not falling for that pretend "green stuff". Been that way for years. 8 Taurus/Sables, 3 LTD/Marquis, 1 GrandMarquis 4 Lin Cont. High miles on all, never had an engine problem. All used buys except for the present Cont.

Maybe the worst of my abused used buys was the '85 LTD. Had about 65K and never had the oil changed, or any service. The timing chain was rattling bad and some used dealer bought it to fix it up but went out of business and liquidated his cars. He agreed to put a timing chain it and I got it for less than auction. Ran many years until my daughter had it and a tree fell on it in a ice storm, crushed it. That one was sludged up bad. I was driving about 300 miles a week for my work. I changed oil and filter each weekend until the sludge went away.

Changed my trans filter today on the '01, 111K and the fluid was getting dark. Only issue, the filter gasket/ring stayed in the trans and did not come out with the filter. Took some doing to get it out. And the dipstick tube is hard to see, hard to reach.

-chart-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts