Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I have a 1998 se Bull with the 3.0 vulcan engine (U-code). I want to chage the spark plugs, going with motorcraft. Is there any special tricks to getting the last 2 at the back? The rest look doable. Do I have to use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs? Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it. My Taurus is a fantastic car, has never let me down.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I just reached around the back side and did it by feel.

In the 20 years I've been monkeying around with engines, I have never used a torque wrench on a spark plug. Just make them good and snug.

Edit: BTW, no need to remove anything. I did it without taking anything else. You can get to the middle back from the driverside. You have to get to the passengerside back from the passengerside. It's a tight fit, but you should be able to find a place to get your hand in there.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, don't need a torque wrench. Just make a mental note of how much torque you needed to take them off and that's how much you need to apply putting them in. Anti-seize and dielectric grease is cheap insurance so make sure you have some.

Even if you can't see the spark plugs, you can still do it by feel. I had to feel my way around to get the spark plugs on the 3.8L (which is a lot harder than the 3.0L).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just did mine tonight. To get to the ones from the drivers side I opened the airbox, disconnected the vacuum lines and moved it out of the way. That freed up a little more room.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you don't have a spark plug socket...then I would suggest getting one at walmart or something...they have a little bit of foam inside them that hold the spark plug in the socket...which is helpful when you have to start to thread the new ones.

·
Registered
223 Posts
QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Mar 20 2009, 12:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710593
If you don't have a spark plug socket...then I would suggest getting one at walmart or something...they have a little bit of foam inside them that hold the spark plug in the socket...which is helpful when you have to start to thread the new ones.[/b]
Yeah, the plug socket helps alot. I stick the socket on an extension, then thread the plug in by hand before I tighten it with a wrench.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I use an old spark plug boot to start the plugs in, then use the socket and handle to tighten them down. Lessens the possibility of cross-threading. Using the boot gives me a better feel of the plug being started properly as opposed to using the socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts