Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this could happen? Is it possible that the top of the spark plug be fused to the inside of the coil where they touch together?
I started to change the spark plugs on my wife's Expedition, (5.4 Triton with COP), and when I tried to remove one of the coils it would not budge, and yes the retaining bolt was out and it was unplugged. I didn't see anything blocking it and just dreadfully thought that the plug top was fused to the inside of the coil. I don't know when the plugs were ever changed, they may be the original ones.

I thought it was a bit difficult to change the rear plugs on my SHO, but the Expedition is a nightmare. There is no room at all and it looks like I will have to remove the fuel rail in order to get to all of them because the rails are right at the tops of the coils toward the back of the engine, which is way under the dash/firewall.

Thanks for any input on this.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I do not believe that the coil actually touches the coil. There is a spring in there that connects the two. The boot is probably stuck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
thats why shops charge so much for changing plugs on them its the plug boot that is stuck and there is no easy way and when i do the tune ups on them i always use a silicon based lube or elctrical grease while instaling i also recomend changing the back 2 coils with motorcraft coils just for good measure

swivel sockets

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I see that I posted this in the wrong spot.
So..... the spring in the coil doesn't touch the top of the spark plug? I was really twisting on that coil and it wouldn't budge, but I will try it again this week sometime, it was one of the easier ones to get to. Thanks to all for the responses.

Anyone ever remove a fuel rail before? It looks like the rail is attached to the injectors by just being pushed down over some O-rings. I have a Haynes manual, but those manuals don't give much detail. I know the first thing I would have to do is de-pressurize the fuel system, and this can be done by disconnecting the inertia switch, let the engine run and it will be starved of fuel and shut off. I figure this is pretty much the same for most Ford vehicles when it comes to removing a fuel rail.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry, I see that I posted this in the wrong spot.
So..... the spring in the coil doesn't touch the top of the spark plug? I was really twisting on that coil and it wouldn't budge, but I will try it again this week sometime, it was one of the easier ones to get to. Thanks to all for the responses.

Anyone ever remove a fuel rail before? It looks like the rail is attached to the injectors by just being pushed down over some O-rings. I have a Haynes manual, but those manuals don't give much detail. I know the first thing I would have to do is de-pressurize the fuel system, and this can be done by disconnecting the inertia switch, let the engine run and it will be starved of fuel and shut off. I figure this is pretty much the same for most Ford vehicles when it comes to removing a fuel rail.
[/b]
Ya, that's the easiest way to depressurize the system. The fuel rail will be secured by two 8mm bolts on each side of then engine, and then it pushes down into o-rings. Make sure all the o-rings come out with the injectors, and clean/lube them with oil before you push it back on again.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DO you need to remove the rail? I know it looks like it is in the way of the driver's side rear 2. Maybe its different on an Exp. I just did all 8 coils and plugs(per cust. request) on a 00 something f150 van, didn't remove the rail :dunno:

Just keep trying, the boot should come off. You can remove the coil from the boot, take the spring with it. Then maybe twist and twist the boot til it comes off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know that the coil and boot could be separated, looks like one whole piece. Thanks for that info, and thanks to everyone for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts