·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ford taurus,
how long should the spark switch be on?
&
and can you program its on time?

thanks a bunch, you've been a great help over years.

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by "the spark switch". There is no such component on any Ford or any other vehicle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Uh-oh! You found the "spark switch"! That is a top secret switch that was never intended for mortals to use! You should not touch it, or REALLY, REALLY, BAD LUCK will beset you and your family. You can get more information by reading volume #4 of Chronicles of Narnia.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the old engine buffs called it dwell time, i forgot the term until you reminded me. thanks
spark duration or cranking dwell
or
maybe its just for engine type people

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
Dwell is the time the coil primary charges to build up a magnetic field. At the end of the dwell period the charging current is cut off, the magnetic field rapidly collapses, generating a large voltage in the coil secondary (Faradays Law). Spark duration is the length of time the spark jumps the plug gap. Dwell has nothing to do with spark duration.

From an engine type person who has been diagnosing engine, transmission and electrical issues, modifying engines and electrical systems, and rebuilding a number of engines for close to 50 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback
alot of troubleshooting thinking went away with advent of obd,
now you don't have too,
someone else will..........................................................spielberg writes great movies off the automobile
.........................................but the programmer is about the release of the dinasour

I've looked into it and it is partly opinion, but electronics failure are probablistic in nature
anyone of them could fail at any time, the pcm

there is an edge that has always been balanced between power and failure
the longer the dwell the more current flows and the more stress is put on the part.
they say 22 parts in 1000 will fail over 5 years continuous op.

ford offers a 3 yr warranty but my car is over 20 years old has high mileage and still runs great!

by lowering the dwell to exactly what is needed I can get even more mileage with less chance of failure from the pcm.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Dwell was very important, especially V-8 with one set of points. Dual points with 4 lobe cam fixes some of that. One coil fired 8 plugs. Coilpack now does 2 plugs per coil. Coils fail when they break/crack. Problem with points, the dwell is only right when it was set, started going less as miles passed. Rubbing block wore down and re-gapping needed for optimum. Still remaining, plug gap is very important for coil life.
-chart-

·
Registered
299 Posts
I seriously love the COP design. No dwell to mess with, if a coil goes bad- easy to troubleshoot. I am on my second car with over 300k miles (total) and never had a coil issue. I think it the best design change to automotive engines in decades.

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
^^^ Agreed. I grew up with points and carbs, and dont miss them in the slightest. When EFI came out in the early 80's many gear heads were scared of the systems, thinking troubleshooting and fixing / modding the systems would be a disaster. I embraced the EFI systems and never looked back, but then I know electronics, sensors, actuators and control systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hydraulic lifters was a big improvement, the old timers had to adjust valves every 1000 miles or so, it was quite a task ..
you could imagine for an 4 valve 16 cyl,.............. 64, and the engine rotations to accomplish it.
way to go automotive industry!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Youd need a good pcm programmer that can change your tune on zee pcm.. you trying to get into 9s in the quarter???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts