Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interestingly enough, the Stabilitrack error never came back on since I got the car back. They ended up replacing the o2 sensor and that's it. No more CEL. The noise they thought was a wheel bearing is one of the front tires being kind of worn. I'm going to get a new set of fronts before the weather starts getting bad.

After taking an 8hr total trip in it here's my thoughts..... it's comfy. There's pleanty of room in the rear for my 3 kids, and more than enough room in the front for my wife and I. I rented a Dodge to go back to MD for work last week and there was less drivers room than the Pontiac. On the trip to/from DC and the traffic, I was able to get 25.7mg, which I was very happy with. Over the last 1200 miles, I'm averaging around 22mpg, with about 60% highway travel. I wish that it had just a little more power but it has enough to get out of it's way plus a little more. I just got spoiled with the way the wagon pulls up top :) Either way, it's still a good purchase and I'm happy with what I have now, especially not having to work on it every weekend just to make it through the week. I'm still partial to the Edge Sport, but this does the trick.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Interestingly enough, the Stabilitrack error never came back on since I got the car back. They ended up replacing the o2 sensor and that's it. No more CEL. The noise they thought was a wheel bearing is one of the front tires being kind of worn. I'm going to get a new set of fronts before the weather starts getting bad.

After taking an 8hr total trip in it here's my thoughts..... it's comfy. There's pleanty of room in the rear for my 3 kids, and more than enough room in the front for my wife and I. I rented a Dodge to go back to MD for work last week and there was less drivers room than the Pontiac. On the trip to/from DC and the traffic, I was able to get 25.7mg, which I was very happy with. Over the last 1200 miles, I'm averaging around 22mpg, with about 60% highway travel. I wish that it had just a little more power but it has enough to get out of it's way plus a little more. I just got spoiled with the way the wagon pulls up top :) Either way, it's still a good purchase and I'm happy with what I have now, especially not having to work on it every weekend just to make it through the week. I'm still partial to the Edge Sport, but this does the trick.
Glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully it stays relatively problem free, lol.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
CEL came on about 2 weeks ago again as well as the Stabilitrack error. Turns out that when the CEL goes on, the Stabilitrack disengages, and the remote start stops working. Anyway... P0401 EGR insufficient flow. Remembering this from my past GM's the EGR passages get clogged with carbon so I took a look at it today. This was something that was obviously looked into in the past because there was a fairly new EGR valve on there(can't see as it's under the plastic cover). It looked like they replaced the EGR valve and didn't even think to look at the passage. After I took it all apart which took all of 5 minutes, It was staring me dead in the face. Completely blocked EGR passage to the intake. Cleaned out the passage really well and cleaned the TB out as well. Cleared the code so I'm confident that's going to take care of the issue there.

One thing I did just notice about the Torrent is that it's drive by wire. Didn't realize it till I took off the TB today.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
CEL came on about 2 weeks ago again as well as the Stabilitrack error. Turns out that when the CEL goes on, the Stabilitrack disengages, and the remote start stops working. Anyway... P0401 EGR insufficient flow. Remembering this from my past GM's the EGR passages get clogged with carbon so I took a look at it today. This was something that was obviously looked into in the past because there was a fairly new EGR valve on there(can't see as it's under the plastic cover). It looked like they replaced the EGR valve and didn't even think to look at the passage. After I took it all apart which took all of 5 minutes, It was staring me dead in the face. Completely blocked EGR passage to the intake. Cleaned out the passage really well and cleaned the TB out as well. Cleared the code so I'm confident that's going to take care of the issue there.

One thing I did just notice about the Torrent is that it's drive by wire. Didn't realize it till I took off the TB today.
Isn't it satisfying when your intuition leads to a clear and "bingo" diagnosis and easy fix? Always nice when that happens. As far as the drive by wire goes, I'm kind of torn on it. On one hand I don't like the lag, on the other hand a lot of performance cars have add on controllers that allow you to fine tune the response to your exact liking.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Honestly I was surprised to see that it was drive by wire being that I've not noticed any lag or odd pedal operation. My parents had an 08 Hemi Charger with DBW and it had a horrible lag. When it was wet out, you'd be lucky to keep the tires from breaking free.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Honestly I was surprised to see that it was drive by wire being that I've not noticed any lag or odd pedal operation. My parents had an 08 Hemi Charger with DBW and it had a horrible lag. When it was wet out, you'd be lucky to keep the tires from breaking free.
My Buick Lucerne has only a bit of a different feel. When coasting, you have to move the pedal more to get power. Not true when under some power of at or near a stop. If I note the tach, little throttle when coasting and the rpm picks up to match road speed but no accel. Makes for a smooth power up from coasting but it gives the feel of lag. I have driven two U-Haul GMC and they feel the same. From a stop, easier to get a nice smooth accel than my Bulls. But I am old school and like the mechanical connection better.

My Buick was washed yesterday, driven dry and put away in the garage. Wife has 5 medical apts. this week, one each day and she is not driving. The wagon will be the "go to" till Christmas. When the grandson is home from college we will need 3 cars for couple weeks. Buick will then come out of hibernation.
-chart-

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've been trying to get the monitors all back up and running but I ran out of time as it had to be inspected before today. This morning I ran through the monitor readiness that I found online and was able to get it to pass inspection :) So onwards and upwards. I want to hopefully get a new set of front tires on it before the weather starts getting bad. There's a tire place that sells at really low prices around where my wife works so I'm going to call them up to get pricing.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I've been trying to get the monitors all back up and running but I ran out of time as it had to be inspected before today. This morning I ran through the monitor readiness that I found online and was able to get it to pass inspection :) So onwards and upwards. I want to hopefully get a new set of front tires on it before the weather starts getting bad. There's a tire place that sells at really low prices around where my wife works so I'm going to call them up to get pricing.
I have to fix the Sable to pass emissions. Just as I finished all the other stuff, the bank 2 sensor 2 stopped responding. 0.0V no matter how its driven or how much throttle you apply. At least that's the easiest one to get to...:rolleyes2:

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Well it's been a little over 2 months since I last updated. CEL never came back on like expected. Today I took the drivers side front wheel off because I've been hearing a little noise when going over bumps. I think it's the caliper hardware that's making the rattling because everything in the suspension is good and tight. When I took the tire off(first time I've taken anything off of this car), I saw how bad the drivers front tire really was...… and I IMMEDIATELY drove it over to the shop to get 2 new front tires put on. From the outside I could see there was a little bit of dry rot so I knew I needed to replace it, but the inside was a whole other story!

I honestly don't know how this tire hasn't blown out by now with the NJ glory holes I hit every day. I drove this car to MD in October and have taken a bunch of long drives for work lately. Just Friday I put over 250 miles on it alone. I've put about 7500 miles on it since I bought it in the beginning of October. I knew it had a slight vibration around 60-65, then back up around 80 but that opened my eyes when I saw how badly cracked that one tire was. I ended up doing an alignment as well as the tow was off on both front tires. I did notice the car did pull very slightly to the right. So now, new tires and a 100% green alignment(have before and after sheets) and it's ready to continue moving along. When the weather warms up some, I'm going to do some deep cleaning of the seats and carpets cause I've noticed it smells like dog sometimes. All in all, it's a nice vehicle and I'm enjoying it.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That was dry rot to the point I could put things in those splits. It went all the way around the wheel. The rear tires are almost new, but the fronts obviously were worse than I thought they were.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
John, does GM still use the electric stepper motor EGR valves? I had considerable trouble with the electric EGR valve on my old 02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Had to replace it every few years due to internal electrical issues (internal open circuits or internal shorts), and the new ones weren't cheap. Our administrative assistant at work has a 07 Dodge minivan with an electric EGR valve. It fails every 2 years like clockwork. She is a single mom, and doesnt have a lot of cash, so the last 2 times it failed I had her buy a new one online and replaced it for her. Fortunately it is only a 10 minute job to replace it.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Jeff, Yep it's one of those stepper motors.

Another update, I changed the oil today and used my Little Green Machine on the interior. I'll tell you...…. you never REALLY know how dirty cloth is till you take one of them to it. The interior looked fairly clean, with exception of the left foot area for the driver. The water that came out of both front and rear seats was nasty and the floors were disgusting. All nice and clean now.

There are 2 defects that are worth noting now. 1) there's a rattle in the front end when hitting bumps. The endlinks look new, so I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm thinking it's the LCA's or the struts(most likely). Either way both are covered under the warranty I purchased so I just need to find the time to take it to the shop and have them sort it out. 2) the oil pan gasket is leaking. It's MUCH easier to do than the wagon because there's more room and the exhaust is not routed under the engine, but still it's not something I'm looking at doing right now(not covered by the warranty). I'll probably tackle that when I take some time off of work, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon. All in all.... still a comfortable ride and now that the weather is starting to warm, I'm really loving having the sunroof :)

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Jeff, Yep it's one of those stepper motors.

Another update, I changed the oil today and used my Little Green Machine on the interior. I'll tell you...…. you never REALLY know how dirty cloth is till you take one of them to it. The interior looked fairly clean, with exception of the left foot area for the driver. The water that came out of both front and rear seats was nasty and the floors were disgusting. All nice and clean now.

There are 2 defects that are worth noting now. 1) there's a rattle in the front end when hitting bumps. The endlinks look new, so I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm thinking it's the LCA's or the struts(most likely). Either way both are covered under the warranty I purchased so I just need to find the time to take it to the shop and have them sort it out. 2) the oil pan gasket is leaking. It's MUCH easier to do than the wagon because there's more room and the exhaust is not routed under the engine, but still it's not something I'm looking at doing right now(not covered by the warranty). I'll probably tackle that when I take some time off of work, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon. All in all.... still a comfortable ride and now that the weather is starting to warm, I'm really loving having the sunroof :)

Glad to hear your ride is doing good. As to weather, looking like after next Tuesday and on, we will see 50-60's and do it yourself is in order. I have already been to the JY and got a seat and floor mats. Our Buick has not been out of the garage for ~3-4 weeks due to nasty weather but maybe this week will check to see the battery is up and get it out. The wagon is getting the dirty work, daily hauler. Switched the JY mats in yesterday and the old mats to the trash. Worn clear through.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It's been a while since I've posted (though I lurk quietly) so here's an update. The Torrent is doing ok. It's just shy of 182K miles now. Since I last posted, I've replaced the right caliper, both front caliper hoses and the front brake pads/hardware. I an going to be ordering a full set of rotors/pads for the Sonata so I'm also going to order the rear pads for the Torrent too.

After I changed the front pads I have been chasing a grinding noise and vibration from the front wheels. Turns out, the caliper hardware was manufactured like crap and it was coming in contact with the outer edge of the rotor. I was able to use some of the old hardware, cleaned and lubed which fixed that problem, but was driving me NUTS for about a week trying to find out what the hell it was but I'm glad I got it now. All in all, it's been a good vehicle, but I still want a "fun" car as a 3'rd :) All in due time.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts