Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come to move on. I sold the van 2 weeks ago, and after doing repair after repair on the wagon it's feeling every bit of it's 210K miles. After 7.5 years, it's been a good run but it's time to move on. I still have the wagon till I take delivery on Monday of it's replacement.

So I've been eyeballing this truck for some time now at a dealer around the corner from my house. They are the wholesaler for a few large new car dealerships just to my south, if they take trades in on new cars and won't put them on their lot. I finally went over today to look at it with my wife. After looking at it thoroughly, and taking it for a nice and rough ride to test suspension and brakes, I pulled the trigger. With the purchase, I have a 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty that covers the entire drivetrain and suspension. So here's what I bought.... It's not a Ford.

2007 Pontiac Torrent. FWD, 3400 v-6, auto, power everything, sunroof(REALLY wanted that!), Pioneer sound system with cargo sub, silver exterior, black cloth interior. It has a little over 160K on it but runs/shifts like a top. NO noises in the suspension or brakes. It's really roomy for being a mid-size crossover. I was surprised how roomy it actually is. The seats are extremely comfortable and so is the ride, with plenty of room in the back for my 3 kids. There's a few paint chips that need to be addressed, but that's nothing a $5 bottle of touchup won't fix. The interior is damn near immaculate. I have the Carfax report and it has a lot of maintenance items on it, nothing negative, no accidents reported, and I believe it was a 1 owner car. I honestly didn't think that I would have bought another GM(I've had a LOT in the past), but I couldn't pass this up. Monday I'm working from home so around noon I'm going to run, literally, over to the dealer and pick the truck up. Here's a few dealer pics of the car:

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Torrents arent to bad of a truck. They share the underpinnings with Chevy Equinox, Saturn Vue, Cadillac SRX, GMC Terrain.

Looks like you got the decently optioned up one, just below the GXP and 1SZ.

Looks like you are missing the cargo tray.

The radio, if you want nav, or something, can be upgraded easily with a kit that is aftermarket, but plugs directly in. I believe its made by Infotainment, but I cant be sure of the name. They are a bit pricey, but you dont loose the door chimes, or on-star, or steering wheel controls.

I like the Torrent, and they are quite peppy and decent on fuel mileage. But the interior is to confining for my larger body.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sousa632's New Ride

As others have noted, it’s a lot nicer to relax than know that you HAVE to work on the car on your time off.

It’s been too long for me to remember, but I believe 2007 was a change in some of the security protocols for GM. That said, make sure you’re getting at least two keys and two fobs.

Hope it brings you years of not worrying about it.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, John! Looks nice. There comes a time when you have to let go.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. One of the main factors on buying something else is the fact of the every weekend fix. Every weekend you end up fixing something in the car to get it through the week, just to have to do the same thing the following weekend. I'm just tired of wasting weekends working on cars instead of enjoying my time away from the cluster F that is work. As it is, we are bringing on 3 new offices within the next 3 weeks, and there's MUCH more in the pipeline that's going to eat up my time. The wagon is the car that I've owned the longest(7.5 years), but there's something to be said about owning a car I'm not going to have to do weekly repairs to. I'm excited to pick it up tomorrow!

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pics! Pics! Pics!
I was only able to get one quick one(crappy weather today) but she's home!

I replaced the wipers and found 2 issues I'm fixing. The passenger washer nozzle jet is.... well …. missing. :D and the drivers front 'door check'(the thing that holds the door open in the 2 different positions) is making a popping noise. I ordered the parts from RA so that'll be this weekend. Probably about 30 minutes of work to replace those. Minor in the grand scheme of things.

One thing I noticed now too... it has XM radio so I think I may add another subscription in the near future :) The radio in this sounds awesome too!

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
The XM radios always sound better than their Sirius counterparts. I liked Sirius in the Explorer but couldn't justify paying for radio that sounded like it was made for an ISDN line in '97.

Last I knew it was very easy to get 6/mo for $30 or something, plus a few dollars for their royalty fee.

Give them a Google Voice or burner phone number, though. Once that subscription gets cancelled, they call you literally every day to hound you to resubscribe. I had to block them.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did that for my wife's Sonata as well before we went to FL. It was 6months for $30. I should reach out to them and see if they would work a deal for a second subscription. I've had a Sirius account for probably about 10 years now. They ALWAYS send me stuff in the mail.

One thing I'll have to get used to is the lock to lock ratio. It takes more turns of the wheel to move it than the wagon. It tripped me up the first time I drove it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was only able to get one quick one(crappy weather today) but she's home!
One thing I noticed now too... it has XM radio so I think I may add another subscription in the near future :) The radio in this sounds awesome too!
It should, you have the low end premium. The high end would have Navigation. Subwoofer in the trunk, and I think 8 speakers.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
One thing I'll have to get used to is the lock to lock ratio. It takes more turns of the wheel to move it than the wagon. It tripped me up the first time I drove it.
My V70 has an almost 40ft turn radius. That takes some getting used to! Still mis-judge some turns.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It should, you have the low end premium. The high end would have Navigation. Subwoofer in the trunk, and I think 8 speakers.
Mine has Pioneer audio. 6 speakers(that I know of) and the sub in the back. No navi.

So after driving it to work here's my thoughts.... It rides really nice. 4 windows down, sunroof open cruising up the highway :) On the way home the CEL came on. I checked the code and it was a P0137 OBD-II Trouble Code: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage. One bonus to it is NJ holds dealers responsible for the car to pass inspection. Being that they are on the hook for it, they will have to replace the o2 sensor, free of charge.

Otherwise I started playing around with some of the settings in the info system and found out that it has factory remote start. It doesn't work right now because of the CEL(fail safe) but once the cel is gone that's an awesome feature that I missed from my 03 Bull. I am also digging the red cluster at night and the way it's laid out. I took a picture, but it looks pink. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own Fords but often get assigned GM rental cars when I'm on location for weeks at a time and they've all been fine. I actually enjoyed an HHR, though the fit and finish was tacky, I could fit my bike in the back. And I has a Cruise for a few months the first year they came out and it was kind of fun and very comfortable. All of my Fords are older and I like the ergonomic layouts and engineering, but I'm not sure there's that much difference between American manufacturers these days.

And you have a Pontiac and the brand doesn't exist anymore That's cool.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I did a few small things to the Torrent today that needed to be done.

First off.... I replaced the passenger side washer spray nozzle cause the center section came out and it wasn't really doing anything but pissing fluid out. While I had that small section of the cowl off, I replaced the cabin air filter...……. which was REALLY disgusting.

I also changed the door check so it stops popping when I open the drivers side front door. Nice and quiet now and holds the door well. While I was doing this, I took one of those Meguiars air freshner bombs cause on the hot days last week, the truck kind of smelled like dog. Smells nice in there now but eventually I know I'm going to have to do a good steam cleaning on the interior. One other thing I really wanted to take care of are the grille inserts. The drivers side one wasn't that bad, but the passenger side the paint chipped and eventually peeled off, rusting it. So I grabbed some red and grey scuff pad, sanded it down and painted it with Rustoleum Semi-gloss black. It came out looking great.

Before:

After:

I still have to take it back to the dealer to get the CEL squared away, but that'll be this week being that I have a rental van for the next 2 days(work) and 3 days next week too.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after driving for a little bit here are my findings.....

The first tank netted me 18.7 mpg with less than 1/2 being 'highway' driving(who knows how old the gas was that was in it too that was mixed with new). The second tank was more highway and got me 21.7mpg. Nice.

It developed an exhaust leak that got worse the more I drove it. It ended up being a flange gasket between the front and rear sections of the exhaust. One of the studs broke and the nuts rusted off. Drilled the broken one out, got new nuts for the other 2 studs and a $5.50 gasket, nice and quiet again.

The CEL is still on for the O2 sensor, but after about 1/2 mile, the stabilitrack system throws an error. That only started happening at the begining of the week. I already had an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for them to fix the CEL because they have to fix it at no cost to me so it'll pass inspection(NJ law for dealers). I have the warranty so that'll be another low/no cost fix. One other thing is the front vibrates slightly at highway speeds so the are going to balance the front tires. Basically I'm still in discovery with this car so once I get through this portion, I'll be able to drive without having to make repairs. We are taking the truck down to MD this weekend so I want to get these items looked at prior to going. Still..... I'm really enjoying the truck.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Re: Enjoyment -- very excellent to hear.

It's funny how some cars sneak up on us and win affection--I might have a story about a rental by the end of the week to the same effect.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well the car's been in the shop all day and it's still not 100% repaired. They will have it tomorrow too, because they have been having trouble getting the traction control to throw the code...….. because they aren't listening to what I tell them, go figure. What they did say was they found a wheel bearing that was making noise too so they are investigating that too. I'll bet the stabilitrack is not working correctly because of the wheel bearing being that the tone ring for the ABS is in each of the wheel bearings. The CEL was a bad o2 sensor.I told them I need the car back tomorrow evening so they are going to get it taken care of by then. Were headed to MD early Saturday morning for the Marine Corps Marathon(wife is running it) on Sunday so we make a long weekend out of it in our nation's capitol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts