Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Sounds like you are outside the 120k mile warranty that they extended from 100k miles. I would contact Hyundai and just maybe they will work with you since it is exactly the issue the engine was recalled about. I had a Taurus that uses a quart every 1000 miles but hard to believe three quarts in 200 miles and no smell or smoke even with the catalytic converter scrubbing it out. I Seafoamed a few cars and could always see smoke out the tailpipe.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Sounds like you are outside the 120k mile warranty that they extended from 100k miles. I would contact Hyundai and just maybe they will work with you since it is exactly the issue the engine was recalled about. I had a Taurus that uses a quart every 1000 miles but hard to believe three quarts in 200 miles and no smell or smoke even with the catalytic converter scrubbing it out. I Seafoamed a few cars and could always see smoke out the tailpipe.
My wife does a lot of highway driving so it's not really unheard of that she wouldn't see it smoking. I looked it over yesterday and it's grim.... there's NO oil leaks on that car. I've already filed a complaint to Hyundai Corp and they are having one of their Regional Directors reaching out to me, so we'll see what the ultimate plan is. If they don't do anything(and I'll fight them to the end) maybe I'll pick up an insurance wreck with a good engine and do a swap. Either way, I have to do something cause eventhough I'm working fron home for the foreseeable future, I need 2 cars. Anywho, here's what i found....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem with the Sonata. Engine failures are something you should never see in a modern vehicle, short of outright negligence. I hope you can get it resolved.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Unfortunately, Hyundai corp wants nothing to do with it. I got the run around from the rep and got zero answers other than "I can't tell you that without it going to the dealer". So I asked for a supervisor or someone that CAN give me answers to call me back. The person who called me actually knew cars and I can talk to her on the level. The problem is if it goes to the dealer, I have to tow it(roughly $100), then the dealer charges a $155 diagnostic fee which is basically going to consist of them running codes and looking at the oil. I know damn well that they are going to want to crack the oil pan off which is going to be $$$. I asked for Hyundai to comp me the $155, and they wouldn't even do that...…. So basically I'm screwed with this car. The total cost is on me. That's the absolute LAST Hyundai I'll ever buy!
I'm debating on what to do but I need a car in the meantime. I've been looking at some Bull wagons lately to keep as a 3rd car which will bridge the gap till I can figure out what I'm doing with the Hyundai. I've been debating on getting a wreck with a good motor, or seeing if I can get a good replacement engine somewhere on the cheap. Time will tell, but the payments don't stop because the engine decided to grenade itself...…

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Unfortunately, Hyundai corp wants nothing to do with it. I got the run around from the rep and got zero answers other than "I can't tell you that without it going to the dealer". So I asked for a supervisor or someone that CAN give me answers to call me back. The person who called me actually knew cars and I can talk to her on the level. The problem is if it goes to the dealer, I have to tow it(roughly $100), then the dealer charges a $155 diagnostic fee which is basically going to consist of them running codes and looking at the oil. I know damn well that they are going to want to crack the oil pan off which is going to be $$$. I asked for Hyundai to comp me the $155, and they wouldn't even do that...…. So basically I'm screwed with this car. The total cost is on me. That's the absolute LAST Hyundai I'll ever buy!
I'm debating on what to do but I need a car in the meantime. I've been looking at some Bull wagons lately to keep as a 3rd car which will bridge the gap till I can figure out what I'm doing with the Hyundai. I've been debating on getting a wreck with a good motor, or seeing if I can get a good replacement engine somewhere on the cheap. Time will tell, but the payments don't stop because the engine decided to grenade itself...…
I hate to say I told you so, but I predicted your fate almost exactly a year ago, haha. Not that I'm really laughing at your situation, because it's truly awful. The issue with the junkyard route too is that unless you're pulling from a 2015+, you can't guarantee the replacement engine won't have the same problem. To me, the best situation is to do some more research and find a shortblock from a wrecked car that's post fix, drop it in yourself, and then run the car till the wheels fall off.

That's a bummer about Hyundai and the payments make in worst. Are there good engines out there if this is a design issue?
Yes, 2015+ cars had a revision to the oiling system if I remember correctly which solved the issue.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Oh trust me I didn't expect Hyundai to do anything for me, but anything was worth a shot :)
The issue with the engine isn't with the actual oiling system. It was a defect in the casting process that left metal shavings in the oil passages. Over time, the shavings went through the engine and wore down bearings causing spun bearings. They have extended the warranties of any cars with the Theta II engine till MY 2019 so obviously there's more than they thought was out there.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
LONG overdue update...… I've been working on everyone elses cars but my own. Hyundai refused to do anything for me. They said being that it's 15k over the extended warranty period, and with the limited resources because of the pandemic, they won't even comp me 1 hour of labor in diagnosis..... NOTHING. A multi billion dollar company, and they won't even eat $155. Pathetic!
I've been borrowing my brother's Jeep Patriot for a while and after coming out of 14 day quarantine cause my wife caught covid at her work (REALLY pissed off at that, but she is ok and symptoms were fairly mild due to catching this before they had a name, or knowledge about it back in November) I'm tired of looking at the car sitting in my yard. So, today, I cracked it open and made a video for my YouTube channel. Check it out guys and gals! I'm repairing this myself, damn Hyundai!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I admire your determination!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
LONG overdue update...… I've been working on everyone elses cars but my own. Hyundai refused to do anything for me. They said being that it's 15k over the extended warranty period, and with the limited resources because of the pandemic, they won't even comp me 1 hour of labor in diagnosis..... NOTHING. A multi billion dollar company, and they won't even eat $155. Pathetic!
I've been borrowing my brother's Jeep Patriot for a while and after coming out of 14 day quarantine cause my wife caught covid at her work (REALLY pissed off at that, but she is ok and symptoms were fairly mild due to catching this before they had a name, or knowledge about it back in November) I'm tired of looking at the car sitting in my yard. So, today, I cracked it open and made a video for my YouTube channel. Check it out guys and gals! I'm repairing this myself, damn Hyundai!
Keep us informed. You are doing a fine job with communication and sharing your work. You might need -.002" undersized bearings on all. Way back, '55 ford V-8 that had been sludged up and the oil pickup screen plugged so minimum pressure. I took the screen and put gasoline in it and set it on fire. (outside). After is was good. I put undersized bearings all around and it ran for years just fine. I did not polish the shaft as I had nothing to it with. Plastigage is your friend in this
-chart-

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Are you going to replace the bearing cap since it looked heat damaged and may fail. Also those rod bolts have been beat and stressed, depending on cost it maybe worth changing also.

Have you ever seen the neat way to use a shoelace and emery paper to polish the journal? You wrap the emery paper loosely around the journal and then a shoe lace. You pull back and forth on the shoe lace which spins the paper around the bearing.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Oooh, glitter in the oil! Never a good sign. I've only seen that one once. Thankfully!

That is the strangest oil pump setup I've ever seen. Make sure you flush it out before you reinstall it, if you can.

I'd get some emery cloth for polishing the journal. Easier than sandpaper and less grit. Be sure to flush out the crank oil passage when your done. I'd keep than passage facing down as much as possible when polishing.

Looking forward to the next video!

101 - 115 of 115 Posts