Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've gotten tired of wasting money on gas with all the driving that I've been doing and what we are scheduling in the next few months that it was time to retire the truck and look for something else. I saw a car at a local dealer that sparked my interest(and my wife's too). It's a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS with 71K on it. I've liked the new body Sonata's and after seeing how well one of my friends faired in a pretty nasty accident in his 2013, I pulled the trigger tonight and picked one up.

It's really nice, clean, and surprisingly quick for a 4cyl. I started the paperwork today but my insurance closed before the deal was finalized so I have to wait for Monday to take delivery.

The plan is that this car is for my wife, I'll sell my truck and take the wagon back for my daily use but we'll see who ends up driving the car. One way or another I needed something better on gas, and less problematic than my truck. Here are some of the dealer photos.....

More to come when I actually take delivery of the car :)

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Nice ride.

A woman near and dear to me had one of this generation, I think it was the same trim, too. Definitely the same engine. I thought it was a nice enough car.

She did have an issue as she became high mileage on it, but it was "just" a failed fan.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The Sonata was on the very short list of cars I was looking at buying when I thin out my herd next year. I like the room in the interior, both front and back. I am not a fan of turbos, that also was a plus. The long warranty bothered me because I like to do my own work and was always happy that warranties were over. It seems to have decent miles on it that is was driven daily and not wasting away in a garage, best type of car.

A friend at work has had no issues in a long ownership.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This Gen Sonata was definitely on my radar and this one came up at a decent price. It's at a VW dealer so they 'certified' the car through their dealer, and it retains the balance of the drivetrain warranty of 10 years/100K miles. I was really surprised on the interior space. I had the seat all the way back and felt like I was sitting in the back seat so I didn't even need it to be all the way back. Head room was good when the seat was down as well. When I took on the test drive the salesman said "drive it like you stole it"...... so I did and was pleasantly surprised. :)

It's going to be a long road of payments, but I'm just getting tired of spending money on a vehicle that isn't worth the money I'm putting in. The truck still needs work and honestly I'm tired of working on it...... especially with the cold here.

Congrats on the new ride John! Happy wife, happy life.
Thanks Mark. That's exactly what I told the salesman when I was signing the papers... LOL.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Congrats on the new ride John! That vintage of Sonata offers a lot of features and reliability for the price. It was in the final 3 in our car shopping a few years ago.

Yes, car payments suck. But, a paid off, needy vehicle is a PITA because it seems like something always needs to be fixed on it. So, trading payments for less hassle is worth it at some point.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Exactly how I'm seeing it as well. Not only that, but I can take almost 1/2 of the payment as a wash being that will be gas savings over my truck per month. In the last 2 weeks alone, I've put $70 of gas in my truck and that's only taking one trip to and from the airport for work. All other driving is to the corp office which is 13 miles from my house. In the next few weeks, I have a LOT of driving to do as we are replacing the copiers in 25 of our offices, along with anything else that comes along, including an office opening before the end of the year and 3 others opening early next year.

1/1/17 I become a permanent employee of the consulting group that I currently work for as a 'contractor'. With that, I have some perks that can and will come my way so I'm not really concerned with the car payment now. It's all part of rebuilding credit and getting more finer things in life :) I'm going on my lunch break tomorrow to finalize the paperwork and take the car being that the dealer is around the corner from where I work. It's unfortunate that most dealers around here don't have but maybe one or 2 Gen6 Taurus for sale, and they are out of the price range I comfortable with.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well today we finalized the deal on my lunch break (and I got another grand off the car, which slightly lowered the monthly payment and shortened the term by 6 months ;) ) so I left my truck there and took the new car. Then after dinner went back and picked up the truck.

It rides even nicer on the highway than it does on local roads. It's effortless. Electric PS I guess helps that. It's not fully loaded, but it's loaded enough to feel like I have something "of the times" now. It has Bluetooth(which was nice on the ride home), Satellite radio, heated mirrors, auto-dim rearview with Homelink and Hyundai's roadside assistant, auto-stick, traction control, ABS, stability control. Even with everyone in the car it got up to highway speeds in a hurry. When driving home myself, I was on the highway doing 85 not realizing I was doing it till I looked down. It's SOO quiet inside. I'm used to the echoing boxes that it's almost too quiet, but that's where the Bluetooth came handy to get some tunes going.

On the way home from getting my truck my wife drove the car. She really likes it, but it will take some time to get used to. I guess that's what happens when you get something new when you are so used to old cars with high miles. Either way, I told her that I can't wait till she wants something else so I can have that car. :D Tomorrow..... I start driving the wagon again :) We are going to evaluate how much it's going to cost in insurance with 3 cars then make a judgment call as to what we are going to do with the truck. If it's cheap enough I may keep the truck as a spare/family outing/snow vehicle. If it's too expensive, the truck will get sold and the money will be put away for car payments. That's all to be decided, but in the meantime I need to clean that car better cause they did a ****ty job at cleaning the windows and they fogged right up. I think tomorrow my wife's going to clean the car.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Well today we finalized the deal on my lunch break (and I got another grand off the car, which slightly lowered the monthly payment and shortened the term by 6 months ;) ) so I left my truck there and took the new car. Then after dinner went back and picked up the truck.

It rides even nicer on the highway than it does on local roads. It's effortless. Electric PS I guess helps that. It's not fully loaded, but it's loaded enough to feel like I have something "of the times" now. It has Bluetooth(which was nice on the ride home), Satellite radio, heated mirrors, auto-dim rearview with Homelink and Hyundai's roadside assistant, auto-stick, traction control, ABS, stability control. Even with everyone in the car it got up to highway speeds in a hurry. When driving home myself, I was on the highway doing 85 not realizing I was doing it till I looked down. It's SOO quiet inside. I'm used to the echoing boxes that it's almost too quiet, but that's where the Bluetooth came handy to get some tunes going.

On the way home from getting my truck my wife drove the car. She really likes it, but it will take some time to get used to. I guess that's what happens when you get something new when you are so used to old cars with high miles. Either way, I told her that I can't wait till she wants something else so I can have that car. :D Tomorrow..... I start driving the wagon again :) We are going to evaluate how much it's going to cost in insurance with 3 cars then make a judgment call as to what we are going to do with the truck. If it's cheap enough I may keep the truck as a spare/family outing/snow vehicle. If it's too expensive, the truck will get sold and the money will be put away for car payments. That's all to be decided, but in the meantime I need to clean that car better cause they did a ****ty job at cleaning the windows and they fogged right up. I think tomorrow my wife's going to clean the car.
Lots of people here are seasonal with vehicles, or go south for winter. They can leave the plates with DMV and cancel or reduce insurance for the season. Retrieve the plates for $10 after re-doing the insurance. Might works for spare vehicle.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not 100% sure what the fate of the truck is, whether I'm just going to do the repairs while I'm driving the wagon and keep it as the family hauler/beater or sell it off. My brother expressed interest in buying it so I could sell it off quick if it ever came down to it.

Either way I've been driving the new car to/from work and I swear the gas gauge barely moved at all... I'm used to putting in $20 and 2 days later having to put in another $20. The miles to empty went down by 15 miles though I've driven it about 50 miles already. :D My wife emptied out the wagon today so that's my DD come tomorrow and the new car is hers. I really don't want to rack up a crap ton of miles on that car for work.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Lots of people here are seasonal with vehicles, or go south for winter. They can leave the plates with DMV and cancel or reduce insurance for the season. Retrieve the plates for $10 after re-doing the insurance. Might works for spare vehicle.

-chart-
My Titan is set up as an occasional use vehicle since I only drive it about 1000-1500 miles per year (for hauling stuff, or deep snow). If you have more cars than drivers, you can do that. Much cheaper insurance that way.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's funny because I got the coverages statement today...... for the 3 year old Hyundai with full coverage, I'm only paying $300/year more than I am for the 15 year old, 192K mile wagon with liability only.
Either way, I swapped cars with my wife today so the wagon is now my DD and the Hyundai is hers. She likes the car but it'll take a little getting used to being that this is our first 'new' car in 10 years. She'll get used to it quickly though.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well now that the 'clean' has washed out of it I can tell it was a smokers car. BLEH! So tomorrow if the weather cooperates I'm going to do a thorough cleaning on the inside and replace the cabin filter. I'd really like to also give it a thorough once over......... just because... ;)

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I didn't notice my one 2001 was a smoker's that I bought for my daughter to use five years ago. The new smell wore off and I could tell then. I steam vacuumed the whole interior and even head liner. Used a small plumber's snake with a rag and cleaner to clean the inside of the vent plumbing. Also washed the visors with detergent. They are close to the smoke. I ozoned the interior for days with an ozone machine. I also used a evaporator foaming cleaner by removing the fan motor and spraying it at it. It dripped off and ran out the condensate drain.

New interiors are harder to clean than the old tough Taurus so be careful.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Well now that the 'clean' has washed out of it I can tell it was a smokers car. BLEH! So tomorrow if the weather cooperates I'm going to do a thorough cleaning on the inside and replace the cabin filter. I'd really like to also give it a thorough once over......... just because... ;)
With most used cars, they've "deodorized" things so much, it's sometimes hard to tell until the perfumes wear off. Tobacco smoke residue is a hard thing to remove since it permeates everything. Clean every piece of the interior you can reach.

The previous owner of my daughter's Mazda 6 had some of the Frebreze clip on air fresheners on the dash vents. 5 months later, I can still smell them when I get in the car. I though that would have worn off by now.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts