Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
20% tint. It was from a tint supplier on Ebay. It's the same tint that was left over from what I have on the back of the wagon. I started to do the rear window but after putting some heat to it to shrink it to the curve of the window, some spots curled up and I ran out. I guess the tint either aged, or just doesn't like being heat shrunk as I had the same issue with the wagon.

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
Today I did a much needed(cause I never did it) oil change. Then I looked at the brakes YET AGAIN cause it's still vibrating like hell when stopping in the left front. Raised the rear found that .... yet again.... the rear right brake has loosened. I readjusted the rear brakes again, bled the brakes, again, fixed an 'oops' in the front right where the pad spring was not fully seated in the caliper and took it for a drive....... STILL vibrating. I'm so sick of wasting my time and money on this thing. There's gotta be something bigger going on here and I really have ZERO patience 9 months and WAY too many dollars to fix this. Anyone else have ANY idea(look at what has been done)?

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Moving in the right direction now..........

Today I installed the new right LCA and wheel bearing. I installed the front bushing in the left LCA and put everything back together. It's no longer humming at 40+mph and there are no clunks in the front end anymore. Bad news is it's still vibrating when stopping but it's not clattering now that the LCA was replaced. I'm starting to think that the right front is the problem being the horrible noise I was hearing sounded like the LCA banging the subframe. I need to explore that a little more but with the $85 I spent today it make a vast improvement in the drivability of the car. If I can get this brake issue fixed, then the car is here for the long haul.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Are you sure the left front rotor isn't warped slightly?

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)
Today I figured out what the problem is with the brakes. FINALLY. CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FIASCO. Just have to take the parts back for warranty replacement, get a new LCA for the drivers side and all should be well in the world. I have a hole in the muffler so that will eventually need to be replaced. Maybe now I'll be able to drive the car and not be mad ;)

I also washed it and the wagon today. They REALLY needed it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm glad you stuck it out. Now you can drive the car for quite awhile with minimal maintenance worries. At least that's what I keep telling myself every time I fix or replace something on mine. Eventually, it will be a new car again.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm glad you finally got the brake issue resolved. You have a lot more patience than I do.

I hope you have many issue free miles to help make up for this ordeal!

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
^The wheel's shape may be the same but the finish is different so be aware of that.

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
^The wheel's shape may be the same but the finish is different so be aware of that.
Yep. The 01's with the fake lugs are a 'machined' look with clear. The ones on the 03 are painted so unless you want to paint the whole rim it'll look odd. I know I wanted to put these caps on my 01 when it was the only one here and didn't because of the finish.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I mix mine, some are polished some painted. Had 3 Sables, all the same wheels basic shape, but switched wheels around and bought some at the JY. When they get bad I paint them. Like in the pic.

Got some center caps, both kinds, paint them too.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
So with most other times I've worked on this car, it's baaaaaaaack...... not as bad as it was, however still noticeable.

Story goes like this: when I worked on it the other day and figured the rear drums to be out of round I also replaced the front wheel bearing with one of the old ones(had brand new ones on it). That was from the passenger side and it hummed. I took the car out last night with the family on the highway and it was vibrating like crazy at 70+, which it never did before the axle replacement. I'm sure the bad wheel bearing was not helping things either.

So I went to put the new wheel bearing back on and found the 2 month old axle I put in it, the outer boot tore somehow and was spitting grease all over the place. Wunderbar..... So I broke everything down AGAIN, and brought the axle back for replacement(which was a chore because it was an online order, but I wasn't leaving without a new axle) got back put it in along with the 'new' wheel bearing. While using a 2" wide long bar to pull down on the LCA, it slipped and hit my knee. Good thing it was not the cap or it probably would have shattered, but there's a big lump next to it now. Just what I need...

Anyway, I got it back together in the dark, with the mosquitos in full force and took it for a ride. It feels better than it did local driving but I need to get it out on the highway to really see.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
So with most other times I've worked on this car, it's baaaaaaaack...... not as bad as it was, however still noticeable.

Story goes like this: when I worked on it the other day and figured the rear drums to be out of round I also replaced the front wheel bearing with one of the old ones(had brand new ones on it). That was from the passenger side and it hummed. I took the car out last night with the family on the highway and it was vibrating like crazy at 70+, which it never did before the axle replacement. I'm sure the bad wheel bearing was not helping things either.

So I went to put the new wheel bearing back on and found the 2 month old axle I put in it, the outer boot tore somehow and was spitting grease all over the place. Wunderbar..... So I broke everything down AGAIN, and brought the axle back for replacement(which was a chore because it was an online order, but I wasn't leaving without a new axle) got back put it in along with the 'new' wheel bearing. While using a 2" wide long bar to pull down on the LCA, it slipped and hit my knee. Good thing it was not the cap or it probably would have shattered, but there's a big lump next to it now. Just what I need...

Anyway, I got it back together in the dark, with the mosquitos in full force and took it for a ride. It feels better than it did local driving but I need to get it out on the highway to really see.
I find it hilarious you have a "mosquito clock" that tells you when you're done working on stuff for the day. Guess I take for granted having a spacious and leveled garage to work inside :lol2:

·
Administrator
14,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
Yea I was well past 'mosquito-o-clock' putting this thing back together. That's what you get living by the water in the summer. They get bad here.

This better be a Million Mile Sable after this freakin' ordeal.
I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm using it, however I also have an eye open for it's replacement as well. ;) It may just be fix to make it sell-able. I have not decided yet cause it seems to be an every 2-3 day repair on this thing, just like I have constantly said "I hope this fixes it".

241 - 256 of 256 Posts