Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 526 Posts

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The sides were a roll I got from Ebay. I had it for about a year so I don't remember who I got it from or the brand. The rear........ after wasting 2 full sheets trying to work out that compound curve with heat and screwing it up....... I gave in and got the crappy Gilla 6" roll from Vato Zone. It's got a slight bluish hue to it that the sides don't have but I figure tint on it is better than having nothing on it. From the outside, you really cant tell the difference unless you are really looking for it. If it bothers me that much I'll have a professional do it but it's the last thing on my mind now.

I think tomorrow when I get home I'm going to park it and start soaking the y pipe bolts, and rear exhaust manifold to get ready to replace the oil pan gasket and rear mani gasket. I'll give them a good dousing at least 2x a day till the weekend. if not this weekend, then next weekend. I'll just drive my van's around if need be. :)

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So......... after discussing our vacation plans for the summer and deciding to go back to the Outer Banks, I'm going to tackle the Exhaust manifold gasket and oil pan gasket soon. The wagon will make the trip again cause it's MUCH better on gas than the van is. Plus it's proved that it can make the trip as I took that last year when we went without a hiccup.

This weekend I'm going to park it till it's done. I'm going to start tearing it down to get better access to the rear of the engine, then start dousing them in the Acetone/ATF mix. Then next weekend is going to be the weekend I'm going to start the job. Cross your fingers!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,026 Posts
When you're dropping the pan, don't forget to remove the little black plastic cover on the pan. It's hiding two more bolts. Interesting little doo-dad. One of the transmission supports has to come off as well.

I didn't have any rust and the exhaust bolts & nuts were still the worst things to remove. Had to use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe with them (worst ones were the y-pipe to the rest of the exhaust).

Good luck!

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The y to the 3rd cat I already had off recently cause I replaced that 3rd cat before(which is gutted now:rolleyes2:) so I dont have to worry about those 2 bolts at least. I'm most worried about the 6 manifold bolts:nutkick:

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Found out why the Air Conditioning stops working when I hammer on the car....

:angryfire::flamethrower::poop::nuclear::shoot:

The trigger wire for the compressor clutch gets pulled when the engine rocks. There really is too much going on with this car and it seems like when I fix one thing, something else goes wrong......... (and you can see my broken cruise control cable).

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,026 Posts
Wow...

And yeah, I was just about to point out the broken cable.

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Just some newer pictures. I haven't done anything to the car recently cause I've been fluffing up the van to get us to/from NC for our vacation next month(cant wait!!)

I might take off the radio surround this weekend and paint it the same 'brushed aluminum' I painted the gauge surround. I have to do a little repair to it to get it straight cause there are like 3-4 gouges in it from the PO trying to take out the radio.

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So after putting the Sable rims back on the van to go on vacation, I had put the Tbird rims back on the sable. Yesterday I plasti-dipped those rims black. They came out good I think. Nice thing is if it doesn't grow on me..... peel it off and go back to silver.

I REALLY need to stop procrastinating and do something with the exhaust before the cold settles in. Otherwise it won't be till spring next year and I don't think I could wait that long to do it.

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Some more work done today with what I had left of the plasti-dip from the wheels. I removed the faded crappy looking grille and went at it.

Old....

Done......

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Took a 310 mile trip on Saturday to High Point State Park(highest point in NJ at 1803ft asl) with the family to see some fall foliage...

She took the mountian roads like a champ, and was fun in the twisties for being a long roof :)

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
So..... time to work on the wagon to get it back to great shape for daily use. After having the jump the car because the damn battery is junk and needs to go back for warranty replacement, I wanted to move it to the back yard on my concrete patio so 1) it's not in the way when I'm working on it 2) it's on a concrete slab so I'm not messing with wood to jack it up and 3) I can make a make-shift 'garage/tent' if I need to keep it out of the elements.

This is where it's going to sit till I get to fixing it. I already have the rear strut rod bushings but I have to order the exhaust manifold and oil pan gasket, along with the exhaust manifold studs, and motor mount. It's going to be an interesting repair with lots of cursing and beer, but when it's done it's going back on the road. Be it for my wife or myself we aren't sure yet.

Was pretty funny cause I had literally, 1/2" of room on both sides to squeeze the car back there. With my wife directing and me driving we wedged it in, and here is where she sits:)

PLEANTY of room to work on it now!

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
This is why I don't like land-locked properties :p

Or at least properties that have little room to move cars from the front to the back... :p

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
You're keeping it?

:lol2:

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
This is why I don't like land-locked properties :p

Or at least properties that have little room to move cars from the front to the back... :p
It's a different story when you have to pay the bills, you go with what you can afford;)

I actually have more than enough room..... the problem is I have this stupid concrete planter box that I have never used and have wanted to remove for the past 2 years. Today........ I took a sledgehammer to it so I can get the car in the back. Once it's warmer out the rest of it is coming out!

You're keeping it?

:lol2:
It's going to be an interesting repair with lots of cursing and beer, but when it's done it's going back on the road. Be it for my wife or myself we aren't sure yet.
;):p

And just in time cause tomorrow night and Monday we are supposed to get 10-14" of snow. And that number keeps going up. Last night it was 6-8", this morning, 8-10", now 10-14".

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Nah ... she was actually supportive of it which is the reason she was out there helping me get it where it is now.

41 - 60 of 526 Posts