Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

521 - 526 of 526 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
More work on Frankenstein today. I bought new ball joints for the front because the drivers side was making a ton of racket. Turns out what I thought was the strut mount "bonging" when turning ended up being the ball joint which was binding up the LCA. I only had enough time today to do the driver side, so next weekend I'm going to do the other side.

While I was in there, the axle has been clicking slightly at almost full lock, the ABS tone ring came loose and the outer boot is torn...…. so I bought a replacement. Out with the old(you can see the new BJ in there already)

and in with the new

No more noises :) I also gave both cars a MUCH needed bath with all the rain we've been getting I haven't been able to in weeks. Onward and upward...… but now I need to find out why I'm getting a P0456. I replaced the gas cap already but I have a feeling it's either the vapor lines cause they were in bad shape, or that lovely filler tube. All in due time.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,755 Posts
John...regarding the P0456 - don't forget that miserable little plastic tee up under the left side of the radiator, which is valved and controls the flow of vapors to the charcoal tank in front of the LF wheel behind the fender. Those things break in a high breeze after twenty years. Your wagon's later than mine, may not have it...but I bet it does.

While I was in there, the axle has been clicking slightly at almost full lock, the ABS tone ring came loose and the outer boot is torn...…. so I bought a replacement. Out with the old(you can see the new BJ in there already)

and in with the new

John, what brand of half-axle did you install? Hope for your sake it wasn't a Cardone. I won't use anything but a Federal Mogul/MOOG or a Motorcraft, after the nightmare I had with a Cardone about 16 years ago. Ugh.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
John...regarding the P0456 - don't forget that miserable little plastic tee up under the left side of the radiator, which is valved and controls the flow of vapors to the charcoal tank in front of the LF wheel behind the fender. Those things break in a high breeze after twenty years. Your wagon's later than mine, may not have it...but I bet it does.

John, what brand of half-axle did you install? Hope for your sake it wasn't a Cardone. I won't use anything but a Federal Mogul/MOOG or a Motorcraft, after the nightmare I had with a Cardone about 16 years ago. Ugh.
I'll have to take a look and see if mine has the same plastic Tee, but I don't remember seeing one. I know the hoses on the tank were getting nasty so it's time those get replaced. As for the axle, it's a NEW Carquest so no rebuild or worries. Lifetime warranty to boot :) I saw the Cardone rebuilds which were cheaper but I wasn't looking to do this job again if a rebuild failed. I've had that before with an old Voyager I had. Went though 3 axles before I got one that didn't vibrate.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Well today marks the end of a 7 year 7 month era. I sold the wagon to someone local who needs a temporary car so at least I know it'll get used and quite possibly I will be able to see it around every now and again. The car is still here till tomorrow when the new owner will come and pick it up after registering/titling it. I'm sad to see it go, but it's time to move on.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Well today marks the end of a 7 year 7 month era. I sold the wagon to someone local who needs a temporary car so at least I know it'll get used and quite possibly I will be able to see it around every now and again. The car is still here till tomorrow when the new owner will come and pick it up after registering/titling it. I'm sad to see it go, but it's time to move on.
Sad, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you made that car whole when anyone else would have driven it for a few months until it ended up in a scrapyard.

521 - 526 of 526 Posts