Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, details not necessary. Rear bumper assy in many pieces.

Source other than scrap yards?

Considering reassembly if no other reasonable options. Might take a bit of JB though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are '92 bumpers exactly the same --- mounting bolts and so on?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anybody's reading ....

Turning out that I may not need one. I have all the pieces, but it's about a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. It's going back together OK with some quickset epoxy. Once I get it back to the basic form, I'll get a fiberglass kit and put a skin over it to give it a bit more structure and to finish and paint. Thinking of using a can of household insulating foam underneath to fill the voids and give it some support for vibration.

These plastic bumpers and covers are more about appearance and don't have much strength to begin with, so I'm not too concerned there.

Beats $125 and a six hour drive to get a replacement that still would have to be painted.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Not sure how fiberglass and resin will adhere to the flexible plastic skin. I think body shops do use or have a flexible bondo to fix even a minor groove. I super glued a side mirror housing on my Xterra and it is still good after ten years and it was in pieces but not flexible. I once painted a flex bumper on a 75 Firebird and it needed a flex additive added to the paint. Maybe it isn't needed these days.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It isn't even close to flexible. It's hard and quite brittle and appears to have been made that way.

It's taking epoxy quite well too.

I'm second guessing the FG though due to my lack of experience with it. If I can get the form back together reasonably, I may just Bondo whatever holes are left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts