Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about removing my resonator. I have a 2004 SE with the Vulcan. Anyone just remove it and leave the factory muffler? Also what size pipe do I need to buy?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
should be 2.25" pipe. Sorry, i dont have a sound bit for ya. my setup is a little different.

J

·
0 Posts
Hello,

I removed the resonator in my 99 Vulcan and left everything else stock, it really didn't change much of anything. I didn't notice any increase performance related and the sound difference was barely anything. I would suggest just leaving the resonator and get a high flow muffler to replace your stock one. My personal recommendation for the Vulcan is a Flowmaster 40 series. Here is a clip of my vulcan with the Flowmaster 40 series DeltaFlow. :)

Vulcan Flowmaster Sound Clip

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
My exhaust came off a 97 Vulcan. It was an aftermarket job. 2.5" pipe from behind the cats, a resinator, and dual Flowmaster 40's. It sounded mean on the Vulcan (although it's even meaner on my Duratec;)) I also added dual outlet stainless steel tips for a quad exhaust look. I don't have a sound clip right now, but if i ever get the rattle fixed I'll get one.

-Dan

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been dying to change my 01 'tec from a single stock exhaust to a dual exhaust look. I keep on reading the forums but can't come up with anything conclusive on putting dual flowmasters on a Duratec (sound, backpressure).

I called Flowmaster tech-help today to get their recommendation. They said DO NOT put on a dual exhaust as I would actually perform worse just to get the look. The recommended their 50-series Delta Flow PN 842453 ($90 at Jegs).

I really want the dual look - maybe just two stock mufflers instead... :( Maybe I'll just get the single Flowmaster and put on a nice set of dual tips or something.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Jun 17 2004, 05:27 PM
I've been dying to change my 01 'tec from a single stock exhaust to a dual exhaust look.  I keep on reading the forums but can't come up with anything conclusive on putting dual flowmasters on a Duratec (sound, backpressure).

I called Flowmaster tech-help today to get their recommendation.  They said DO NOT put on a dual exhaust as I would actually perform worse just to get the look.  The recommended their 50-series Delta Flow PN 842453 ($90 at Jegs).

I really want the dual look - maybe just two stock mufflers instead...  :(  Maybe I'll just get the single Flowmaster and put on a nice set of dual tips or something.
I have a 98 with the tec and i have dual flowmasters. It's not true dual exhaust but i'm not aware of any Taurus or Sable that has true dual (unless someone did it aftermarket).

I updated the stock 2" / 1.75" pipes, from the front y-pipe back, to 2.25" and installed dual flowmaster 40 series (original not delta). IMO it had a positive effect on performance and is sounds outstanding. I have turned the heads of several sport car owners when a sable passes them sounding better then their car.

They recommend their Delta because it costs more then the original 40 series. When i had called them they told me there wasn't one made for the taurus/sable. I ended up calling another place that gave me the dimensions of the stock exhaust and recommended the flowmaster part based off of those dimensions. If you do decide to get them let me know and i can give you the contact info of the place i got them from, was the best deal i found about a few months ago, probably still.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What if... I take my stock 2.5" pipe on the G4 and split it to two 2" pipes where it turns to go to the stock muffler and run the two pipes to two flowmasters? That should help reduce the drop is backpressure....

I actually need 1.75" pipes to equal the same volume a 2.5" pipe can carry if I wanted to keep it the same- but 2" seems better.

Thoughts? Sorry for stealing the thread... :toilet_claw:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
So the stock pipes on a Gen4 is 2.5?

I found that picture of the stock exhaust layout of my gen3 sable with the duratec. As you can see it's 2" back to the rear y-pipe where it goes down to 1.75" as you are suggesting doing but with different sizes.

I just replaced everything after the front y-pipe with 2.25" all the way back to the mufflers which are 2.25 in/out also. I did not reduce it as you are talking about doing and i have better performance then with the stock setup. I went with 2.25 instead of 2.5 to reduce the possibility of exhaust stream velocity drop that could occur with the larger 2.5 pipes.

There is a common misconception that backpressure is needed to achieve/maintain performance/torque. This is not the case, what is needed is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. Here is a link to a useful article that explains this statement.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05sportc.htm

Here is another article explaining the torque/backpressure misconception. It also goes into valve burning.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/...etorquemyth.htm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+Jun 17 2004, 07:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ Jun 17 2004, 07:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HueyStLoui@Jun 17 2004, 05:27 PM
I've been dying to change my 01 'tec from a single stock exhaust to a dual exhaust look.  I keep on reading the forums but can't come up with anything conclusive on putting dual flowmasters on a Duratec (sound, backpressure).

I called Flowmaster tech-help today to get their recommendation.  They said DO NOT put on a dual exhaust as I would actually perform worse just to get the look.  The recommended their 50-series Delta Flow PN 842453 ($90 at Jegs).

I really want the dual look - maybe just two stock mufflers instead...  :(  Maybe I'll just get the single Flowmaster and put on a nice set of dual tips or something.
I have a 98 with the tec and i have dual flowmasters. It's not true dual exhaust but i'm not aware of any Taurus or Sable that has true dual (unless someone did it aftermarket).

I updated the stock 2" / 1.75" pipes, from the front y-pipe back, to 2.25" and installed dual flowmaster 40 series (original not delta). IMO it had a positive effect on performance and is sounds outstanding. I have turned the heads of several sport car owners when a sable passes them sounding better then their car.

They recommend their Delta because it costs more then the original 40 series. When i had called them they told me there wasn't one made for the taurus/sable. I ended up calling another place that gave me the dimensions of the stock exhaust and recommended the flowmaster part based off of those dimensions. If you do decide to get them let me know and i can give you the contact info of the place i got them from, was the best deal i found about a few months ago, probably still. [/b][/quote]
Where did you get a bra for your car???

I've been looking for a decent bra for over a year!

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 07:06 AM
Where did you get a bra for your car???

I've been looking for a decent bra for over a year!

JR
It's a LeBra Front End Cover model #55569 that i ordered from Pep Boys (they didn't stock it at that time) back in 2001 when i got the sable. I'm not positive but i'd guess that the same model number is still valid.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 01:22 PM
How did it fit/look???

JR
As you can see there is a bit of looseness in the conners near the headlights that i haven't been able to get rid of but other then that it fits great. The hood portion is tight as can be and the rest of the front bumper does not have any ripples.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Jun 18 2004, 08:36 AM
What if... I take my stock 2.5" pipe on the G4 and split it to two 2" pipes where it turns to go to the stock muffler and run the two pipes to two flowmasters? That should help reduce the drop is backpressure....

I actually need 1.75" pipes to equal the same volume a 2.5" pipe can carry if I wanted to keep it the same- but 2" seems better.

Thoughts? Sorry for stealing the thread... :toilet_claw:
The stock pipes are 2.25". I just had my system redone with 2.5" from the motor and split it into 2.25" pipes. It sounds quite nice, and gained some power over my former system of 2.25" into 2.25" split. The 2.5" into a 2" split sounds like a good idea though. It will sound great and give some hp's too. Good luck w/ the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts