Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to your forum. I have a '99 Taurus SE . This is the 2nd Taurus I've had (other one was a '96).

I live in Chicago (where there's always road construction going on). While driving one day, apparently I rubbed against one of those metal horses while making a turn at a stop light. Of course I didn't hear it (had the radio going). I noticed this bad (real bad) dent (gouge) in the driver side rear door.

I thought about taking it to a dealer near me. My hubby says they will only send it out to a bodyshop anyway, so we should save the extra charge and take it to one ourselves. I've never had to have repairs (like this) done to her (my car), and don't want to get jacked around by someone named Joe Schmoe (lol).

Here comes the question finally...does anyone know of a reputable repair shop in Chgo or does anyone on here live in Chgo with a good track record on repairs. See I pretty much baby my car...like I said, she's a '99 with just under 55,000 miles. Obviously, I have minor scratches, dings (usual wear & tear), but this is incredibly noticable. Any help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, KimsTaurus

·
Registered
341 Posts
i dont know of any shops near you, but your hubby is right. they'll ship it out to a body shop and charge you about 8 billion dollars for their trouble. best bet is take it around and get some estimates...most places will do them for free.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
With whatever shop you take it to, try to find a shop that knows what they're talking about and dosen't treat you like an idiot when your asking questions.

You will want to look into having the paint blended if you have the extra money, that is when they don't paint only the door, but they fade the new paint into the factory paint on the sorrounding panels so wou will not be able to notice the little color difference between the repainted door and the rest of the car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kim, just whereabouts in "Chicago" do you live?
I'm way out Southwest in Oswego (Illinois class 7A State football champions), and I know a few shops near me...

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Hey Kim, if you tell me where about in Chicago you live, I have a shop that might work for you pending how close you are to them, and they have done great work which didnt break the bank on a friend of mines 2k3 Accord.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the best way to find a home body guy is to go to the small
mechanics shops in your area and just ask them who does their
body work. i found a guy right in my neighborhood who works
out of his garage, he did a wonderful job and charged me
only $250(including paint) for an $850 dent from maaco.
dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your replies.

Sablewagon, Saturdays Vulcan and Line Noise, I live in Woodridge.

I have thought about just replacing the whole door, Firespirit (may do that).

Good idea (93 Sable). I have found more niks and tiny tiny rust spots that have never noticed before (but since the dent incident, I've become very picky with all I see on my car). My hubby says I'm crazy, all cars get niks and dinks...but she's my baby, I keep telling him ( LOL). (maybe a total repaint is worth it).

Thanks again all :)

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Woodridge! I was just there Friday at Woodridge ice arena. Well, its not that close, i'd say its about 50-55 minutes away from you, and im about 40 minutes away here in Beverly (Chicago).

-Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts