Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my ball joints and took the car in for a wheel alignment.

They tell me that the ball joint is loose. Can't do the alignment.

The ball joint had 5 miles driven on it. So, I'm thinking that ball joint isn't bad.

But, the mechanic might be wrong about the ball joint. But, I'm thinking he is right in that the suspension is loose also. So, is there some other component that could be worn out that shows the same symptoms as a bad ball joint?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would have been the thing to do. But, neither me or the car is at the shop.

And, the mechanic probably would have put his hands at 12 and 6 on the wheel and showed the looseness in the suspension and said the ball joint is bad. Just as I was informed when I was at the shop.

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Take it to another shop......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another good suggestion.

But, the front to rear brake lines are leaking now. So, it is sitting in the driveway till I replace the brake lines.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I replaced my ball joints and took the car in for a wheel alignment.

They tell me that the ball joint is loose. Can't do the alignment.

The ball joint had 5 miles driven on it. So, I'm thinking that ball joint isn't bad.

But, the mechanic might be wrong about the ball joint. But, I'm thinking he is right in that the suspension is loose also. So, is there some other component that could be worn out that shows the same symptoms as a bad ball joint?
NEW loose BJ are not all that uncommon. Ford OE have issues. I looked at a number of Lin Cont Carfax when buying my '02 used at 40K. Some had BJ replaced as early as 300 miles. Mine just before 40k when I bought it, done by Lin dealer. One was loose and had to be replaced by me. Exact same part as Bulls. Shop guy and friend told me he had new BJ as loose as the old one and had to do over. It happens.

But the 3-9 O'clock feel, the tie rod and BJ feel the same. You can eye it or put your finger between the Knuckle and LCA and feel movement if it is the BJ. You can eye the tie rod, inner or outer. This of course with the well off the ground.

Been there.

-chart-

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've heard of ball joints wearing out quickly. Never thought new ball joints could be bad.

I mean they could be bad. But, you would think you could tell they were bad before installing them.

the ball joints I had installed, I couldn't move them by hand. Had to whack them with a mallet for them to even move. That is why I don't think it is a bad ball joint. I'll have to check out the ball joint as you suggested. It is also why I'm asking about what else could be causing the same issue. Might as well check for those at the same time also

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wouldn't you know it. I jacked the wheel up today. And, that ball joint is bad. 6-12 wheel rock was solid. nothing when trying to lift tire with a pry bar. but, from the 3-6 position, I could feel that something was loose. Had a neighbor move the wheel while I laid under the vehicle. I could see the looseness in the ball joint.
Bad ball joint right out of the box.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
wouldn't you know it. I jacked the wheel up today. And, that ball joint is bad. 6-12 wheel rock was solid. nothing when trying to lift tire with a pry bar. but, from the 3-6 position, I could feel that something was loose. Had a neighbor move the wheel while I laid under the vehicle. I could see the looseness in the ball joint.
Bad ball joint right out of the box.
Congrats on your diag. I believe the 6-12 idea is not correct. 3-9 will tell all with some watch and feel. My experience inner tie rod and BJ feel the same at the wheel. Which one is loose is feel and look. :D

-chart-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing