Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Vulcan with 108K. Sometimes it cranks over fine but will not start, then, after cranking it again, it will start but run VERY roughly for 10 seconds or so and then run smoothly like there was never a problem. No codes show on the code reader. I cleaned the IAC a few months ago and it seemed to start better.

If the anti-theft system is disabling the fuel pressure will the anti-theft warning light come on/flash while cranking?

I want to isolate it to either electrical or fuel. I suspect an electrical problem because it will run perfectly after being rough for a few seconds.

Any ideas about where to start?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
2000 Vulcan with 108K. Sometimes it cranks over fine but will not start, then, after cranking it again, it will start but run VERY roughly for 10 seconds or so and then run smoothly like there was never a problem. No codes show on the code reader. I cleaned the IAC a few months ago and it seemed to start better.

If the anti-theft system is disabling the fuel pressure will the anti-theft warning light come on/flash while cranking?

I want to isolate it to either electrical or fuel. I suspect an electrical problem because it will run perfectly after being rough for a few seconds.

Any ideas about where to start?
For good measure, clean ALL the ground connections under the hood. You could have a bad ignition switch, fuel pump relay that has contacts going, bad fuel pump, the list goes on. I would get a cheap fuel pressure gauge from harbor fright or such and verify fuel pressure when you have this issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could have leaky injectors too flooding the engine and thats why it wont start and if it does it runs rough. Try depressing the gas pedal to the floor before you start cranking and see if it starts sooner. Doing that will cut the injectors off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved!

The fuel pump relay was bad. I swapped the fuel pump and wiper speed relays (they have the same part numbers) and it started up just fine. It wouldn't start yesterday evening so I listened for the fuel pump and heard nothing. Then I covered the alternator up and pressed in the fuel rail valve to look for pressure and got nothing. Swapped relays and all is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Car won't start, sometimes.

I had a similar problem. I put the key in and try to start the car. It does crank (STRONG), but does not start (does not fire). I found, through experimenting, that if I leave the ignition turned on and wait, say 10 to 20 seconds, the car often does start. I tried different keys (I have 3) but all of them exhibited the same behavior. Basically if I turn the ignition on and wait a while, the car is likely (but does not always) start. My car is a 2005 Taurus, SE model.

Later, on one cold morning (about 5 degrees), my car cranked very slowly and wouldn’t start. I put a charger on it, got it started and got a new battery (my old battery was the original, 5 years old).

Now, here’s the strange thing, I no longer have any problem starting the car. It starts every time. Before, it almost always exhibited the difficult starting behavior I described above. It has only been a day, but, my car has been failing for months.

So, I can only conclude that the new battery fixed the problem?? That doesn’t make any sense to me, since the old battery did crank strong (except for that cold morning), which to me means it has plenty of power. I did have to remove the old battery, which may have caused the computer system to reset, or something, but I had already removed the battery to see if that would resolve the issue, but it didn’t. It doesn’t make and sense to me, but, I can’t argue with a resolved problem.

Just thought I’d post this information to help someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had this happen twice now on my 03 SES. Turn the key and let off when I think the car has started only for it to stall out. After several 3-5 second cranks it does start. The battery is from april 07. I was thinking that was the problem until I started researching only to learn it could be the fuel pump. What's the best way to go about diagnosing the REAL problem? I just dropped $500 into this car today and can't really afford to throw money at this situation. :eek:

Thanks in advance for any help:)

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I've had this happen twice now on my 03 SES. Turn the key and let off when I think the car has started only for it to stall out. After several 3-5 second cranks it does start. The battery is from april 07. I was thinking that was the problem until I started researching only to learn it could be the fuel pump. What's the best way to go about diagnosing the REAL problem? I just dropped $500 into this car today and can't really afford to throw money at this situation. :eek:

Thanks in advance for any help:)
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Fuel pressure check is the sure way to know how the pump is working provide the filter is not plugged.
Turn key to on and wait 10 sec. before cranking, that lets the system pressurize.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Fuel pressure check is the sure way to know how the pump is working provide the filter is not plugged.
Turn key to on and wait 10 sec. before cranking, that lets the system pressurize.

THE filter was last changed, at most, 6 months ago. I changed the plugs yesterday and the gap on the old ones ranged from .054 to .074. Since they're supposed to be .044 I'm hoping that might be the cause of the problem. If not, at least I'll pick up some gas mileage.
I'll try to get the fuel pressure chacked soon.

Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.