Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 02 SES FFV ( I assume FFV because it has the green leaf on the side)
When I test drove it I drove it hard, everything seemed find.

however now that I drive it normally, its like it skips second gear. the gap between first and second is huge! starts off really powerfull but after the first shift, the RPM's go way down and I just have to cruise up until the next shift. If I floor it, it will gear down and give more power but RPM's top 4500 to do this. Normal?

Once Im at 50-60 mph she cruises real fast and is great on the highway.

Also, when slowing down from cruising speed to a slow speed and then gasing again, like when you come to a yeild sign, almost stop, and take off again, its like the tranny is still in top gear for a second until it gears down. The engin revs a little and the the tranny grabs and gives all occupants a little jerk. I hate this. Didnt do it the day I bought it, or at least I didnt notice.

Ive learned to drive it as to minimize this jerk, but if I lend the car to a friend I know they will notice it.

I had the dealer check it, they changed the tranny fluid and filter and I found it a little better. I even had AAmco check it out and they said there is nothing wrong too.

Am I just being picky?

Thanks in advance guys

Curtis

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
That's just the factory programming. There are a couple things you are feeling. The actual shift, and the tq converter lockup.

If you understand how a lockup clutch type torque converter works, it all makes sense. If not, then it just seems like the transmission doesn't know what gear it wants to be in.

In a nutshell, locking and unlocking the tq converter is smoother than shifting gears.. So when you slow down to almost a stop, then go give it a little gas (like part throttle) it will stay in second, but unlock the tq converter to bring it up on the stall (gets you back into the engines powerband), then once the load is gone, it will re-lock the converter.

Basically the tq converter and engine flexplate always spin faster than the input to the transmission, unless the tq converter locks. This difference in speeds hampers horsepower a little, but multiplies torque (what you need at lower speeds)

Anyway, its all very technical, and the stock programming is for comfort. A re-programmed chip will make the transmission feel a lot more responsive.

In a simple answer, yes, all tauri do it. The newer trans like yours are better in many ways then the earlier ones.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The second gear is much taller than the first gear, though. I have an AMS chip on my car, and the 1-2 shift is much more "dramatic" than any of the other shifts. At WOT, the car will jerk rather violently when doing th 1-2 shift.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jul 17 2004, 12:38 PM
The second gear is much taller than the first gear, though.  I have an AMS chip on my car, and the 1-2 shift is much more "dramatic" than any of the other shifts.  At WOT, the car will jerk rather violently when doing th 1-2 shift.
I have an AMS reprogrammed PCM and mine does this also. (insert voice of Forrest Gump) I like it, I like it a lot :D

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I'm skipping everything that people have responded because I have to bounce.

Your fluid is probably brunt. Go have it flushed and add a Magnafine in-line filter and add 2 bottles of Lucus Trans-slip and make sure they use Mercon V.

Also, the problem you are discribing is due to the plunger valve & sleeve. You may need to have this replaced. Go on http://www.powerglide.com/featured/96948-0...unger_valve.htm and order this part.

You can order the part yourself prior to service and have it replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts