Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed smoke arrising around my car, so i was running around like a mad man trying to find the source, and i came to whats in the picture. i dont know a whole lot about cars, just trying to see what is leaking then burning off. mebe tranny fluid, oil? smelled like burning plastic almost. have a warranty for the car, but this is my daily driver, and time is scarce. any help or suggestions would be great, just trying to see how serious this might or might not be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
tranny fluid or oil....not sure...

smell it and touch it, you should be able to tell wich it is

Good luck!

Brad

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with Brad, and even though time maybe tight for you, I advise you to get it checked quickly.. it doesn't look (by the picture) like a healthy situation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hrmm.. almost looks like an oil leak... and prolly the wind from driving blowing it back onto your cat?

check you oil and tranny pans... see if theyre wet around the gaskets..

(heres hoping its and easy fix for ya!) :bandaged:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Tranny fluid, most likely coming from the front seal on the transmission, given the spray pattern and position. Hope your dealer has a loaner program... <_<

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
has you engine or tranny oil been replaced or drained recently?

However, I tend to agree with Racer X.... inner axle seal may be leaking. Also check power steering fluid. The SHO's use a higher quality ZF steering rack than the lower models, but a seal may have gone bad.

G

·
That is totally Tranny fluid. I can tell by the way its getting soaked into the Cat. I would not drive this vehicle. Tow it into a local garage. Ford Taurus Trannys are very picky. LOL

Sal

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tranny was flushed about a month ago, shifts fine to my knowing, and i have another 300 miles before oil change. all other fluids are constantly maintained. and racer you make me nervous when you say loaner program. what exactly is that? haha. so i really shouldnt drive it? this sucks. ill probably call the shop later and try to get this handled.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I say loaner because the transmission has to come out for a front seal replacement.
$400 in labor for a $20 part. Yeah, I throughly enjoyed that one. Not. <_<

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check your power steering level. When the rack starts leaking it gets all over the cats and smokes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im almost positive its not the power steering, just went out and checked it. it wont wipe off, its all hardnd now so i cant really tell what it smells like, but im leaning towards the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The out of focus drops appear to be red in color, that would rule out engine oil. My guess based on location is transmission, maybe torque converter seal.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Between the engine and the transmission. Definitely that seal... sorry dude, wish I could say its something else, but from my experience, it looks to be what it is. :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks racer and everyone for the help and feedback. you guys pretty much answered all my worries. thanks again. going to the shop tomorrow and there gonna give her a good look over and replace whats wrong. just hope the warranty covers it. this came at a bad time too. considering the meet in san antonio is friday and im loaded to the neck in bills. all should be well and i should have the car back by then. peace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts