Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno how many of you have this on your taurus', but my 92 gl has this "taurus" logo on the pasenger side dash. The taurus is slited, and has space behind it. Basically you can see through the logo into the space.

my idea is to put something bright inside that space to illuminate a color through the logo. I hope that makes sense.

does anyone know a practical way to do that, and how I would power it? I would most certainly want some kind of switch, and if it makes a difference: any color would be okay, but I really want red (to match the paint)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club! A lot of people have done what you're saying. I've done it too. There's instructions somewhere, but I forgot where. Basically, I took the ashtray light, cut it and moved it to the area above the glove compartment. You'll need to slice in extra wire because it's not long enough. Then you cut a piece of plastic from a milk carton and glue it to the back of the logo as a diffuser. Then put everything together and enjoy. It takes like an hour and almost no money (if you have wires and a milk carton). The light comes on with the parking lights (don't know why the ASHTRAY light comes on with the PARKING lights). And you could put any colored 194 bulb in that socket. In the picture below I used a green light bulb to match my car. The picture doesn't do it justice. It actually fills with color at night in real life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did that 2 days ago as a matter of fact I used blue led lights (ford) it looks pretty nice. I like little personal touches in a vehicle.

James

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, you could put a neon in that area. Some members perfer that method because it's brighter. Go buy a neon small enough to fit back there, then splice some wire to the ashtray light and leave the neon's switch in the "on" position. Now it'll come on with the parking lights.

Or you could go to the junkyard, get a ashtray light socket for cheap, then splice some wire to the existing light socket, and mount the light there. This method is cheaper than the neon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts