Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted earlier this month about my 97 Taurus LX squeaking when I turned the wheel or hit a bump. I got several replies, all helpful, and in the end there was a unanimous concensus that it was the tie rod end.

I took the car to a mechanic and was told it was a lower control arm. After looking at every parts store in the frocking world, and finding no lower control arm, I took the wheel off and took another gander at the car. My neighbor came over and grabbed the tie rod end and twisted it and it squeaked like a mother.

The whole point is I want to thank everybody that replied to my original post, and I'm sorry I didn't listen the first time. I replaced the tie rod end today (a whopping $18.99) and it runs like a top.

Now, however, I have a severe wobble in the front end. It feels like a blown belt in the tire, perhaps, but when it wobbles I hear a faint thumping sound from the front end. The wobble started after the tie rod went out, and is still doing it after repair.

Would a blown belt cause the thumping/thudding noise I'm hearing. The noise is synchronized with the wobble. When it wobbles, it thumps/thuds.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for all your great input and advice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my guesses were bad tire (which i couldn't find anything wrong with either of the front tires) or bad bad bad alignment, which I know it needs aligned.

yet...on the front passenger tire, where the alignment was bad before the tie rod went out, the inner most strip of tread is planed down at like a 40 degree angle. half of the strip is normal, then it drops where it's worn off from wear.

would that plus majorly bad alignment cause the wobble and pull and thump?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update. it was a tire...had a rip about 9 inches long around the inside of the tire. all frocked up. thanks again for the input. wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts