Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:toilet_claw: I'm new here. I once had an 88 sable 3.8 which suffered all the usual calamities (tranny, mounts, head gaskets) but I sure liked driving it. I've stumbled on a SHO (89? stick, bad motor) as well as cheap but nice 3.8 91 and 93 Sables and a ratty but solid old 2.3/5spd. Before I pass these up for a late model, I'd like to at least give them a chance. I'm not trying to pull anyone's chain here, I'd just like to know how to upgrade an otherwise fine car.
1. Does anyone make motor mounts that last? I'd be willing to give up some isolation for durability.
2. Does anyone have a handle on rebuilding/modifying the automatics for performance and durability?
3. Can a 91 automatic be replaced with a 92-95?
4. Did Ford ever develop a good 3.8 head gasket?
5. Will the 3.8 or 3.0 bolt to the 2.3/5spd's tranny? What's involved?
6. Will the 3.8 bolt to the SHO 5spd? What's involved? (I know, I know, but I prefer the 3.8)
7. How do I spot a car with the large (18 gal) gas tank? I think my sable had one, but I was never sure.
By they way: It'll be a commuter, tourer, and occasional autocrosser.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the club. I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some.

You can replace the '91 auto with a later model. I would recommend a '94/'95 tranny since they had less problems that the previous models.

The later model Windstars and Mustangs have the 3.8L and they seem to hold up better than previous versions. But aftermarket's the way to go. Some members recommend Felpro or a copper head gasket.

The 3.0L will bolt up to the 4-banger's MTX. I believe it's the same as the SHO tranny. One member successfully did that, but the parts were crap and it didn't last long.

The 3.8L might bolt up to the SHO tranny with the proper fittings. Search the Performance forum for a few topics on that.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
ok, 2 quick notations

2.5's had a different bolt pattern than a 3.0, 3.0 SHO, 3.2 SHO and 3.8 they are the same as the 2.3's

3.8 could be possible BUT.... the trick is finding a flywheel to fit it, I've been looking down that road and so has a few other people, but the hangup is with the flywheel, everything else is boltup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts