Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I ave got a 2013 ford Taurus SEL AWD with the 3.5l v6 naturally aspirated. I was wondering what I can do in terms of exhaust? The stock is just to quiet but I dot want a screaming raspy exhaust. Also I would like to try and get mufflers welded in instead of a 1200+ dollar cat back exhaust. I'm gonna do a CAI eventually too but winters coming so mods are slow. Another thing is a tune. Once I have my exhaust and intake settled what kind of tune can I get into a 2013 Taurus with a 3.5l? Is a tune even worth it? I mean the main thing for me is I would like more responsive throttle and less dragged out shifts but I don't know if that's possible to change. The car does have 96,380 miles so I'm not sure I'll be doing a tune to wot accelerate all the time and get a top speed. To much wear. Lol Also how does the AWD work on these Taurus's? Is it rear wheel or front wheel drive and then when traction is lost computer transfers torque to all wheels or alternates wheels to get traction? Just curious I know its not 50\50 transfer to front and rear constant that would strain the drivetrain to much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally like a quiet exhaust, but you may want to take a look at this thread:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/115-5th-6th-gen-engine-drivetrain/227697-2013-sel-dynomax-ultraflos.html

In there, 13BlueBull posts a youtube link to his setup and I think it sounds pretty good (if I wanted more noise). Jump to the 55 second mark of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ABYyvkqmw
Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want the angry buzzing bees rasp I hear some v6 and i4 tuners screaming down the road like. But I could definitely appreciate a healthy growl while accelerating and a notable rumble at idle. Just want to be able to hear my engine for once. As far as a tune and intake goes I don't know when I will be able to do so sense that's all under warrenty except the air filter I change myself. Otherwise I think I void warranties on lots of things if I go doing a tune and everything. I could deal with exhaust being on my hands but not the whole intake and sensors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a K&N Typhoon on my 2010 unlimited its quite loud but makes a HUGE difference. K&N says they have dyno tests to prove almost 14hp gain. I can say this my 262hp 2010 with the K&N had more pull than my 288hp 2014

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a K&N Typhoon on my 2010 unlimited its quite loud but makes a HUGE difference. K&N says they have dyno tests to prove almost 14hp gain. I can say this my 262hp 2010 with the K&N had more pull than my 288hp 2014
Good golly, you may have just re-started the CAI debate.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Yeah, I put a leaf blower in my intake and wired it for 12V. 75HP gain at the crank, I tell you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also how does the AWD work on these Taurus's? Is it rear wheel or front wheel drive and then when traction is lost computer transfers torque to all wheels or alternates wheels to get traction? Just curious I know its not 50\50 transfer to front and rear constant that would strain the drivetrain to much.
The AWD system continuously monitors vehicle conditions and automatically adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear wheels. During normal operation, most of the torque is delivered to the front wheels. If wheel slip between the front and rear wheels is detected, if the vehicle is under heavy acceleration or if the vehicle is in an aggressive handling event, the AWD system increases torque to the rear wheels to prevent or control wheel slip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
here is one with two leaf blowers and 50 HP dyno tested

Leaf Blower Supercharger - Hot Rod Magazine

That article was an absolute riot, but you cant deny the result. Although having to stop and refuel your leaf blowers with 2-stroke more often than you fill the tank is even crazier! LOL

I get the notion the K&N Typhoon probably doesn't make an enormous power difference. I installed one on my 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. I think it does add power at the top of the rev range, allowing the engine to pull hard all the way to redline, but mostly I think you just get the sensation because it sounds so angry doing it.
The factory intake tube on the Chrysler had so many strange "fingers" sticking off in different directions it looked like a cactus was growing under the hood.
I noticed when I checked under the hood of my 2013 SEL the intake looked like a potato spawning kids, so I'm thinking the effect will be similar. I'll probably install a K&N before its done, and if it doesn't really add much power I'll be fine with that since I like the performance of the car already, but I do love that angry growl.B)

·
Registered
142 Posts
on my 2010 it made a huge difference off the line, I should have tested it with my G-tech but it never occurred to me to do so. My care was a 2010 Limited AWD and now I have a 2014 limited AWD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yo guys I know this is kind of off topic but no one is commenting on my post. I got a 2010 SEL FWD and want to add power and handling like this dude does, so I looked around and had the crazy idea of seeing what a police Taurus had modded on it. I'm sure y'all already know they have bigger beefier brakes, upgrade beefier suspension parts and tuned ecu. Here's my question. If I were to want these tunes done to my Taurus could I ask my local ford dealer? I mean I'm not getting the look of the car modified to resemble a cop car, so it shouldn't be illegal right?

·
Registered
835 Posts
There is not much to comment on....For the NON SHO twin turbo there is not many options. Interceptors were not officially marketed not released until 2013 and although basic design is the same for interceptors and NON P/I sedan models there are some technical changes for P/I sedan models. Outside of a K&N air filter and maybe a K&N CAI kit not a lot of major options. Resembling to look like P.I. sedan depending on the extent may not be illegal. We have several members in other forums with publically purchased P.I, sedans. P.I. Grille is a publically available modification and my SEL even got compliments from police on the looks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really do like the PI grill but I've got a 2010 so it wouldn't fit my car without replacing the whole front clip. Which I actually like the PI front bumper. The only thing is that it doesn't have the LED lights. I wonder if I could retro fit them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Cableman
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing