Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ford Taurus SEL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cooling fan in my 2008 Taurus will not turn on, and the engine overheats when driving the vehicle. Yesterday when driving I noticed smoke coming out the right (from the perspective of the driver) side of the hood, and when I opened the hood there was coolant all around the reservoir. No warning lights came on, but I did notice that the temperature gauge was on high after opening the hood. The air conditioner works, it was on when the overheat occurred, and the heat was working that morning. I was able to slowly drive the vehicle home after it cooled down, making sure to not let the engine heat up (even mild revs on the accelerator would cause the temperature to begin to rise, and it would slowly fall when coasting)

The coolant has since been refilled, but I haven't had a chance to check for further leaks yet.

I cannot get the cooling fan to turn on. I have performed the steps in the service manual to force the fan on (turn Max A/C on, turn blower motor all the way up), and while the blower motor works, the engine fan doesn't spin. I put a multimeter on the fan control wire (blue/white), with one probe on a ground, and the voltage stayed at 0. The primary power lines did have 12 volts, as expected since they are connected directly to the battery. (Of course, the fuse for the fan was also good)
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern The image (click to zoom) shows the wire I put the meter on. I would expect the wire to increase in voltage compared to ground when the fan spins, with the voltage increasing as the fan speeds up.

The temperature gauge on the dashboard does work, and indicates the proper temperature.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
581 Posts
With all you described, to me it sounds like a bad fan assembly. The brushes do wear out in them on the motors.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Taurus SEL
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With all you described, to me it sounds like a bad fan assembly. The brushes do wear out in them on the motors.
It was the fan assembly. When I bought the new one, it span noticeably better than the old assembly. This also made the air conditioner blow a bit colder. Took the car for a decently long test drive around town and on the interstate and the temperature never rose above halfway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts