Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All- My Sable wagon 2001 LE DOHC 90K miles (my 3rd model), regularly driven. I have been getting an error code P0453 since the summer. Comes out as "evap feul tank pressure sensor high input".
Long story as short as possible- All sources except Ford continually come up with no part or the wrong part unless you put in the part #'s in search engines (there are two) which Ford gave me. The pressure sensor (sometimes referred to as a pressure transducer?) XF1Z-9C052-AA is unavailable because it is attached within a maze of tubing (tube assembly) which is part #1F1Z-9C047-BE [all 0's are zeros, all 1's are ones]. Ford told me maybe I could get the entire assembly on back-order in no particular time frame, for $410. The sensor part is mounted/inserted on the fuel tank. You can find 3 or 4 web sites that carry discontinued parts, selling the assembly (and showing you the Ford label with the same #), for about $300. And then there are 2 hours labor.
My mechanic says his supplier can probably get it, but if it doesn't solve the engine light situation, I have to eat it. So, $500 on a gamble is not going to work. So it sounds like next is used parts / junk yard. Mechanic says I could just get the sensor part removed from the assembly (cutting the tubes which he'd later repair) and he'd put it in.
Can anyone reading this make a better suggestion? I'm wondering if anyone might be familiar with this and have an "established" remedy. Ford says any model Taurus or Sable, 2001 to 2003 will work. Anyone want to sell theirs?!
Has anyone ever replaced the gas cap to successfully resolve P0453 engine light? A bad cap wouldn't increase pressure, it would decrease it, right? Perhaps a clogged tube? Or any other direction different than the one I'm headed in?
Thanks for reading. Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,877 Posts
Gas cap will give a different code.

First I would check the wire harness going to the FTP sensor for corrosion, damage, etc. Unfortunately since the sensor is on top of the tank, a full inspection will require dropping the tank.

FTP sensor is a rare fail, so a trip to the JY might be in order for a replacement.

A few years ago a friend had a FTP code on his daughters Saturn. Turned out some critter chepwe thru one of the wires going to the sensor. Easy fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts