Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - FYI,

I had posted a separate questions on what could be making my gas pedal stick on my 2000 Taurus SES with a 24V Duratech. I though it might have something to do with the cable, but many of you responded it could be carbon build-up on the throttle body.

Well, it was carbon build-up on the Throttle Body!

I took off the hose coming from the air filter and saw carbon had built up around the base of the TB causing it to stick. This made it so you had to really press firm when you first took off (thus making you take off like a bat out of he..!).

I bought TB cleaner and it quikly disolved the carbon. The gas pedal now works the smoothest it ever has.

Thanks to all that made this recommendation!

Posting this as a separate post for others who may have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Just curious... how many miles are on your bull. I have a 2000 and don't have any sticking yet, but wonder if I should clean the TB...

-Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2000 have 70K on it. 80% highway miles. Cleanup was easy. If you don't have a problem, I wouldn't do anything. When you start feeling it stick, I would address it right away.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I had 39,000 on my 2000 SEL when I turned it in. The throttle body was clean as new. I ran a K&N since 5,000 miles. My new 03' got the K&N 45 minutes after delivery

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another factor is the grade/brand of gasoline you use.
Once you know it's clean, if you then use good gas and every third or fourth tank fill it with premium, it'll never get dirty.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Feb 4 2004, 11:46 AM
Another factor is the grade/brand of gasoline you use.
Once you know it's clean, if you then use good gas and every third or fourth tank fill it with premium, it'll never get dirty.
Huh? Gasoline has nothing to do with the gas pedal sticking...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gasoline does have everything to do with the gas pedal sticking; over time. Low grade gasoline causes carbon build up over the course of years and miles and could affect pedal performance.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by wkohler@Feb 4 2004, 01:45 PM
Gasoline does have everything to do with the gas pedal sticking; over time.  Low grade gasoline causes carbon build up over the course of years and miles and could affect pedal performance.
I thought it was the PCV system that was causing buildup in the throttle body? If you have to use premium gas, then something is wrong with your motor. Unless you have a SHO, in which case, sure, premium is required.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Hmmmm, when it gets warmer I will check out the airbox to see what I can see. I wouldnt say my pedal sticks, but it is kinda slow.

Ill let yall know what I find out.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by wkohler@Feb 4 2004, 01:45 PM
Gasoline does have everything to do with the gas pedal sticking; over time. Low grade gasoline causes carbon build up over the course of years and miles and could affect pedal performance.
Actually... If you don't have an engine tuned for premium gas, you could actually be creating more carbon deposites. This is why..

Low octane gas actually burns more readily then high octane gas. This means that it is really easier to burn out low grade gas. With low grade gas, however, if you increase youe timing, you could end up with premature detonation, causing engine knock and possibly engine damage. This is why the cars that require spark advance and high compression run higher octane fuel. The high octane fuel is more stable and less resistant to detonation, but at the same time, if you don't have spark advance, you might not burn it all off. Then you end up with carbon deposites because your engine isn't burning hot enough to use all the fuel.

Or at least that's the theory.

-Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts