Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down my chioces to two possible cars. There was a third, a '95 GMC Sonoma 2wd 4cyl 5-spd ex-cab, but apperently its sold (ad taken down, wont return my phone calls).

1994 Camry LE Sedan 158K miles. with auto, spoiler, power everything, CD player, 4cyl. $1995

1995 Taurus GL 165K miles, 3.0L, floor shift, power everything including seat, CD player, $1900

I'm thinking of offering $1,100 for the Taurus, since thats closer to its book value. The Camry is already under book value but I'd obviously rather have the Taurus. I dont know who all knows this but did you know that a 1995 Taurus 3.0L is rated for better MPG by EPA than a 4cyl Camry? Cool, huh. Both cars are decent color combos inside/out. They both have black steel wheels with wheel covers (Taurus has stock ones, the Camry has cheezy aftermarket wheel covers). I have a set of 15" alloys from a '99 Taurus SE that will obviously look great on the '95. I dont have a set of wheels to fit the Camry. Both cars have working A/C, dual airbags, similar options (though I doubt the Camry has power seat).

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
of course we are all going to be biased toward the taurus but to be honest i think it would be the better choice. it is going to be more comfortable probably better performance etc. i loved my 2nd gen and i wish i still had it i could be driving to school it had over 180k on it when i got rid of if and although it burned a little oil it still got 29 mpg on the highway and it was a wagon so i could haul all sorts of stuff in it

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
This is obviously a no-brainer. You should buy the Taurus. Not because we're biased or anything, but we all know you love the G2 Vulcans.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hmmm, interesting considering that I've owned both vehicles almost exactly (Camry was a '96 4cyl, albeit the same generation).

I will tell you this, from my experience the Camry got MUCH better fuel economy in local driving, excellent economy on the highway, but at the expense of piss poor power on the highway. Put on the A/C on a hot day and get it on the highway, forget about it. Mine was similar in mileage to the one your looking at, and while they're built very solid and will probably last until they rust in half, the parts and labor is what will cost you.

I'll be honest, I only bought my Taurus because of the mileage, that was a year ago and I've come to love the car as well as appreciate domestic cars and Ford much more than I ever thought I would. I have no experience with a high mileage G2, so I can' t speak, I'd only hope that it would be as reliable as my Toyota was in it's higher mileage years. Two things I'd be wary of with the Taurus is the transmission and how well it was cared for, as well as interior parts quality. Even at such a low mileage, the condition of the old materials in my car leads me to believe that the Camry will hold up better in that respect. One thing the Taurus has over the Camry for sure is highway power, comfort, better traction in the snow and it's cheaper to fix.

I'd say go by instinct, and watch out, those old Camry's transmissions can bust too, mine was starting to hard shift ever so slightly, and even through a few shift solenoid codes before I sold it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither worked out. Wasted a whole day looking for a car, found nothing.

Of my three choices (Sonoma, Camry, Taurus), I only saw the Taurus, the Camry's phone number just rang and rang with no answer all day. I walked up to the Taurus and I notice the trunk is sticking up. So I walked around back and the entire lock mechanizm, the latch and everything (from INSIDE the deck lid), was compleatly missing. There was also damage to the decklid itself, I dont know what happened. Maybe somebody didnt have a key to the trunk, so they broke in? Why not call a locksmith?! Screwed up the whole rear profile of the car (one of the G2's best qualities IMO), it looked like a $200 shitbox from behind. I could have bought a used decklid for it, but the guy said over the phone that it was SUCH A CLEAN CAR, LIKE-NEW, and that he was only a "little" negotable from the $1,900 mark.

If he was that deceptive, had me drive 45 miles down there to look at the car and hid the fact that it had very noticable damage and a damn BUNGIE cord holding the trunk closed, then what else is he hiding? I felt ill about the whole car. I never even cranked it up.

I drove around and looked at another Camry, also a '94 and also for $1,995. It had suspiciously low miles (112K) for its age and condition (its condition was marginal at best, had a wrinkled 1/4 pannel, missing radio, busted lower valance, various dings, dents and scratchs, etc). I wasnt "feelin" this one either LMAO.

What a couple of junkers. The only car I saw that I actually thought was reasnoble for its age, price, etc. was a (wait for it....) 1970 Toyota Corona! This thing was funky as hell. like a 1/4 size LTD Crown Vic/Caprice/LeSabre etc. Even had a long rectangle speedometer like a '70s American car. It needed paint but had new tires and ran well (4cyl/auto- like most any Toyota sedan over the past 30 years). I didnt seriously considor buying it, obviously its not the car for me, but it was kinda cool in its own way.

Needless to say, I'm dissapointed. My mom mentioned selling me their '97 Sable for $1,500. It has 162K and the original trans, which is jerky at times but doesnt slip. It runs great otherwise and is in fairly good shape. I dont like the bodystyle at all and I dont like the trans, but if nothing else, it might work. They saw a 2007 Five Hundred at a bank repo sale they like.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
There's lots of 95-99 Taurus for sale up in the Boston area where they're only about $500-$1000. All the ones you're looking at seem overpriced, but I guess that's just your particular area.

I actually did test drive a Corona at one point. Can't remember the year, but this was over 20 years ago. Could have been around a 1970's model. Didn't end up buying it, the guy was acting kinda weird about it, didn't want to get sucked into lemon laws and was trying to sell it as-is or as a parts car. Seemed to run fine though, but that kind of attitude made me stay away.

I see some 2000 Taurus going for about 2k around this area.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, a '97 Sable with 162k on it for $1500 is NOT a deal...you can do better in the Taurus department (or other cars) for the same money. What's your budget?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Mar 4 2009, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705391
Yeah, a '97 Sable with 162k on it for $1500 is NOT a deal...you can do better in the Taurus department (or other cars) for the same money. What's your budget?[/b]

I have about $2,200 right now, but obviously buying a $2,200 car isnt going to happen. I need money to register it, etc.

I talked my parents out of the Five Hundred. I went and looked at it and in my opinion, its not worth their time. It's had 3-4 owners (was sold used at a GM dealer at some point), has a lot of swirly scratches down both sides, door dings, cracked windshield, stains on the carpet, and the front clip had been covered in bugs for a long time and not washed (paint, headlights, grille, etc was very pitted and you could tell somebody tried to pressure wash it but only made it worse). It was a black SEL with tan leather. I dont know the miles or the price, but I'm confident they can do better.

I REALLY want them to wait until this summer and test drive a '10 Taurus. They were at odds on the 08-09 styling (my dad loved it, my mom prefered the Sable which he didnt like). They both like the '10 Taurus, and were really suprised to learn that despite all the new features, styling, etc that the MSRP isnt going up by much if anything. I told them that if they did buy used, buy a Ford Certified Pre-owned so at least its a low-mileage one-owner with a warranty.

Either way, they're keeping the Sable for the immidiate future, but I'm sharing it with them.

I havnt found anything else thus far. I did find a Ford Explorer I liked but it was way out in Cali. It was a '91 Eddie Bauer 5-spd M/T with leather! 4-door, 4x4, rebuilt trans, new clutch, excelent condition inside and out for only $1500. Cool truck! A flight out to San Jose is only like $130.00/aprox, believe it or not. I'm just not sure about buying a $1,500 first-year Explorer and trying to drive it 2,000 miles home, so I doubt I'm going to go for it. I really like the truck though.

I'm still looking. Something will pop up.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
For comparison purposes .... I bought a 1995 MTX SHO (pics in the thread about it) for less than what the Taurus you looked at was asking.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Mar 5 2009, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705755
For comparison purposes .... I bought a 1995 MTX SHO (pics in the thread about it) for less than what the Taurus you looked at was asking.[/b]
I had no intention of giving him anything close to that, even if the car WAS in the great shape he claimed. My top offer was going to be $1,100. Some might think I'm crazy for paying that for a '95, but I love '95s. I'd probably pay more for a '95 than I would a '96, everything else being equal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts