Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2007 Taurus SEL with 3.0L engine.

I want to replace what looks like original serpentine belt. I have located tensioner and it looks like it takes a 15 mm socket to move tensioner to replace belt.

I say looks like as I have 15mm tool and it moves tensioner, but fit seems loose and I am afraid it might slip. However, I realize movement is greater at end of tool handle when you have two foot long handle as opposed to normal 6" wrench handle.

So does anyone know for sure the correct socket size for tensioner in order to move it to replace serpentine belt? Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can get the belt tensioner tool at autozone for like $15 or so , it saves me a lot of time when changing alternators, and it has the right size socket in there, although you will have to start with the smallest one to get it right, i am sorry i don't have the exact size atm.

Also all the Taurus of that year are 3.0, you need to specify which model you have, the OHV, DOHC, or the Flex to know which exact size it might be.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it's the same tensioner design as used on

the 2001 model (as a Gen 4, it should be), it is a 15mm size.

The clearance between the engine compartment sheet metal and the tensioner is very tight so I just used a 15mm offset wrench (I did not have a piece of pipe to use as an extension so just put a bit of muscle into it. I think the spring might have been weak :lol2:).

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
hi,
I also used a short pipe from my large 3 ton floor jack to get me leverage
to hold the wrench over the tensioner nut.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
If you watch the ads, you can get a serp. belt tool @ harbor freight tools for $9.99. A good addition to the toolbox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts