Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know the size of the socket needed to remove the oil drain plug? The only one I have the seems to fit is 5/8, but it's a big too big. I assume it needs a metric socket.

·
Registered
516 Posts
that would be a 15mm

·
Registered
516 Posts
pretty much all Fords use 13mm, 15mm, 16mm for gas engines and 19mm for Diesels

and 5/8 is pretty much a 16mm

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
And when you do an oil change you can replace it with a Fumoto Oil Change valve, they work great and make changes even easier.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Would anyone know the size of the socket needed to remove the oil drain plug? The only one I have the seems to fit is 5/8, but it's a big too big. I assume it needs a metric socket.
Here is how I keep score. Got 3 cars all use the same filter, but all different drain plug hex. See pic.

They can use any size hex they want, any time they choose, and it may not be factory original.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Just for reference the 2010 and up is 15mm, but since I installed my Fumoto, I don't need no stinkin' socket now to change oil!

·
Registered
22,491 Posts
If 5/8'' (16mm) is too big, try 15mm. Sheesh! My gen3 tecs take a 15mm, father-in-law's 98 windstar takes a 16mm. His 01 windstar takes a 13mm. Moral of the story... find one that fits! Ain't rocket science!

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
If 5/8'' (16mm) is too big, try 15mm. Sheesh! My gen3 tecs take a 15mm, father-in-law's 98 windstar takes a 16mm. His 01 windstar takes a 13mm. Moral of the story... find one that fits! Ain't rocket science!
Re Shela
"find one that fits"

Good call.

Trying to do anything witout enough tools is a bust. Any handy person should have at least a set of comb wrenches.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will buy a set of larger sockets. I believe I don't have anything bigger than 12mm. They could become handy for other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts