Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Bag Of Marbles" noise (Not engine knock)

01 Sable OHV (U engine) Just had alternator/belt replaced. Car has always had slight ping only on hard accel, I know what that is. Suddenly, every startup for the first ten minutes only, I get a very pronounced bag of marbles noise upon low speed acceleration. Appears to be from the area of the starter/water pump. Only lasts first ten minutes. It is not engine ping. 155K mi. Car runs great otherwise. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Could be a defective alternator, like the bearings already went bad. Is it a rebuilt, aftermarket alternator? Or the belt tensioner is bad?

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
A cheap mech. stethoscope from harbor freight tools, pc. of hose, or a long screwdriver held to ear. Can also remove belt and rotate pulleys by hand to feel for play and roughness. With belt off, you can also start car for a few secs., if noise has disappeared, you know indeed it is caused by one of the belt-driven components.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A/C on has no impact. Sheila, so with the engine running, I touch the tip of the steth. to each component and listen for a rough sound?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts