Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to part ways with my wife's old '04 Sable. 71K, 24 Valve, near perfect condition, except for the deer induced crunched front fender. It's a "Limited Edition" with the vinyl roof. She's been driving a new Edge, and I've got my truck. Always figured i would keep it as an extra car for the kids, but they all have their new stuff with the new fangled technology. Never had any problems with it and I hate to sell it to just anyone who doesn't know what he's got.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Retail high range, see pic of top end $, and on the bottom end $, I just bought '05 SEL with 128K, needed a coil, and has some rust. Scratch and dent all around. $1600. But got it for grandson to drive to work and college. Got a hole in the floor pan under pas side. Engine and tran, brakes, suspension, tires all OK. A/C and heat works fine. 6 CD works. Fair price.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
It is at least valued at the insurance total cost if in an accident. Your insurance company can tell you that number. Other than that it is worth what someone is willing to pay. My guess is $3000 but maybe auction site sale may be best. Don't look at what others are posted for sale, look at what actually has sold. People what big bucks but buyers don't want to pay up. When I bought my 2001 the dealer shoed me a list of 2001s in a wide area that were up for sale. In 2013 I paid $5000 with 60k miles but only because I knew these cars. Also a car that is not driven frequently is not always the best car to buy.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
$3000 easy in the current market. A dealer would be selling that for like 6 or 7 these days.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
$3000 easy in the current market. A dealer would be selling that for like 6 or 7 these days.
Compared to the market. If I had not just bought one, I would give 3K in a hart beat.
Pic is what is out there in the market. Bet this smells like a old ash tray too. Rusty around the rear wheels too.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got a 03 LS with about the same mileage. Was in an accident that involved in a swipe across front with bumper and grille damage. Due to valuation and damage, insurance company wanted to total it. I kept car and got $2800 as the value. This was after about a $500 salvage value the insurance company would have got if they took it away. I fixed it, but this should give you a good idea of what the car is worth. I use kbb.com as my gauge. Perfect "safe" car for a high school/college kid. It is a sellers market for used cars. Be careful at around this mileage for the Sable as the torque converter shaft spline tends to wear on converter splines rendering the car un-driveable. I replaced mine when it went and it involves dropping the subframe and removing transmission. Big job. $125 part (torque converter) but lots of labor that will run into the thousands. Often diagnosed as a complete transmission failure which renders the repair more than the value of the car.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Got a 03 LS with about the same mileage. Was in an accident that involved in a swipe across front with bumper and grille damage. Due to valuation and damage, insurance company wanted to total it. I kept car and got $2800 as the value. This was after about a $500 salvage value the insurance company would have got if they took it away. I fixed it, but this should give you a good idea of what the car is worth. I use kbb.com as my gauge. Perfect "safe" car for a high school/college kid. It is a sellers market for used cars. Be careful at around this mileage for the Sable as the torque converter shaft spline tends to wear on converter splines rendering the car un-driveable. I replaced mine when it went and it involves dropping the subframe and removing transmission. Big job. $125 part (torque converter) but lots of labor that will run into the thousands. Often diagnosed as a complete transmission failure which renders the repair more than the value of the car.
I believe the TQ spline was a few years of G-4's. I had the flex plate gear get a bad spot on '03 DOHC and had to replace that. Added the TQ new as no extra labor. Car that had~185K at the time.~$600 for the total of that. Couple yeas later let my grandson drive it to work for a summer then sold it to a friend for $500 due to rust bad around the rear wheels and rockers mostly gone. He drove it 2 winters as a winter beater now just paid to have new struts as a spring broke. ~200K on it now. Pic of it at 80K, totaled and I got it back for $406. No new title as itwas 8 years old in NY not needed if over 8. Insurance told me they would never value it more than that amount. I was not sure they would let someone else buy it without notice, but they did not care. Car was abandoned in PA and I got it as a re-pro. Some old Bulls never give up.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 05 that looks just like that except no ragged roof and I have double your mileage, about a year ago KBB (Dogshit Inc.) said mine is worth $399 in immaculate shape.... GL out there! I'd try for 3500 -4k obo for that one.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I have an 05 that looks just like that except no ragged roof and I have double your mileage, about a year ago KBB (Dogshit Inc.) said mine is worth $399 in immaculate shape.... GL out there! I'd try for 3500 -4k obo for that one.
Your right about the top. That maybe a major negative on a sell since nobody does those tops and most likely was a custom job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts